Hoseless AI comp vs SS backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjbickford

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I recently bought a new backplate, and have done one dive on it. The bog isdue i had was my transmitter kept losing connection. This rarely happened when i was using an older jacket style BC. Im wondering if its a weak battery, or is the SS blocking the transmitter?

Has anyone else had this problem wit transmitters and back plates?

Im doing another dive wednesday, with a fresh battery. If that doesnt work, i might swap my hoses side to side and run my reg upside down to get the transmitter above the SS.

Dacor extreme access computer.

No, but I haven't been using the transmitter much with my new BCD. I've heard of people extending the transmitter with a HP hose, so the transmitter is where it is more convenient for you and not available for use as a handle by boat crews.

Is your transmitter on a hose or direct on 1st stage? I know some people put the transmitter on a short hose for signal reasons and/or to stop the transmitter being used as a handle. Good luck.

---------- Post added May 26th, 2015 at 01:05 AM ----------

Kevin, great minds think alike :D

I had thought about getting a short hose to put the transmitter tied on to my inflator hose near my shoulder. I was unable to ascertain weather the threads on the female end of a HP hose are the inverse of the male end.

Is your transmitter on a hose or direct on 1st stage? I know some people put the transmitter on a short hose for signal reasons and/or to stop the transmitter being used as a handle. Good luck.

---------- Post added May 26th, 2015 at 01:05 AM ----------

Kevin, great minds think alike :D

Transmitter definitely looks like a tank valve and I can see someone using it as a handle. Putting it on a hose would solve that but any issues with it moving around ? Also seems kind of funny to go wireless/hoseless and then add a hose back again.

I'd check the batteries. The SS backplate interfering is a new one on me.

Actually, most transmitters recommend that your body not be between them and the computer or they might drop the connection. Even though they use radio transmission, it is very weak and there actually needs to be a clear line of visual sight between the transmitter and the computer. So, the first thing is to check the location of your transmitter with your new gear configuration. If the transmitter sits 'below" the top of the SS plate, that could block the signal. Or, if the transmitter is blocked by your body because your tank sits lower that with your prior rig, that could also be a cause. This is not "interference" from the steel (a non-issue) but an issue of blocking the line-of-sight between the transmitter and the computer.

If the location is an issue, I recommend putting the transmitter on a 6" HP hose. This gets it out above your shoulder and makes it easier for the computer and transmitter to "see" each other. It also has the advantage that a DM will not mistake it for the tank valve or a "handle" when lifting your gear. I did this about 6 months ago and really like it for that reason, and, as a side benefit, I have not had a dropped connection since.

I just dont let others handle my gear

Diving from tenders without ladders, you remove your rig while in the water. Tender driver pulls your rig into the boat. Then helps you get into the tender. Did it this way in Galapagos and Indonesia liveaboards.

Diving large tanks from small boats, many do the same because the weight of the big tanks makes it difficult to climb ladder. Common on Cozumel with the large tank operators.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom