Best First Dive Comp under $700?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ultimate Shield

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So as it happens I've got some $250 credit at a LDS, and am considering putting it towards my first dive comp. I wish I could swing the cash for the Atomic Cobalt 2, but sadly my cash limit (with store credit) peaks right at $700. Maybe I'll swing the Cobalt 2 for next years tax refund, but for now I'd like to pick up a nice starter comp. I'm pretty sure I want to go AI. I have my own regs so no worries about having to swap anything out.
The LDS is able to get DC's from Aeris, Dive Rite, Sherwood, Mares, Genesis, and Scuba Pro
ATM he's got Sherwood Wisdom 3's in stock, and they seem like a nice setup in person. ATM I'm mainly doing local beach dives but am looking to expand into wreck diving. So would you guys say the Wisdom 3 a good purchase within my budget? or is there a better computer from the MFG's listed

well, the answer to your question is save an extra $60 and buy a Petrel.

With your limits, I'd get an Oceanic Geo 2.0, $400 MSRP. Aeris is no more, they're owned by Oceanic though so he should be able to get them. Realistically at that price point there's really no point in spending the full amount on any computer from those brands. Should be $400 total. Downside is it is a watch size computer so it isn't that big if you're starting to play the trombone, but that is the best computer available from those options and the only one from any of those brands I would consider.

Aeris, non existent anymore
Dive Rite, good computer, but at $600 it's a lot of money for what it is
Sherwood, pretty they're made by Pelagic Pressure Systems which is owned by Oceanic. The Wisdom 3 is too expensive and you don't want a console computer if you're going into tech
Genesis, stupid expensive, waste of money
Mares, smart is the only one worth looking at, but it's the same price as the Geo 2.0 and also made by PPS I believe
Scubapro, if your LDS will price match Leisure Pro, the Meridian is comparable to the Geo 2.0 and at LP it is currently $270
Uwatec Meridian Wrist Computer, Black Tech 05.060.200

Keep in mind who actually makes computers. of the above brands, the only one that actually makes their own computers is Dive Rite and Aeris now Oceanic. Everyone else OEM's from someone else.

Alternative, with a $250 credit if you have any other gear you need, I'd put it towards something else and spend $170 on the Zeagle N2ition from Dive Gear Express

You can buy a new petrel for 699. That is the best way to go.

Most dive shops that sell shearwater

Have you done a google search?

I can't locate one. If you know of one, please post a link.

You won't find that price on Google. It is below map. You have to actually call shops and ask. When I was shopping for mine, 2 of the three shops I called were 699. The third was 750.

The LDS is able to get DC's from Aeris, Dive Rite, Sherwood, Mares, Genesis, and Scuba Pro

Hmmmm. I don't see Shearwater anywhere on this list....:shakehead:

​
Hmmmm. I don't see Shearwater anywhere on this list....:shakehead:

but, it he can surrender the "useless" AI (okay , here we go), it is the "alpha dog" in the current race for "superiority"......

I'll have to give my LDS guy a call in the morning to check if he's able to order from either Oceanic or Shearwater. If I'm able to order the Oceanic Geo 2.0 from him, all I would need is a SPG to go along with it, correct? At $400 this would leave me with cash left over to put towards a BCD which after this would be the last piece of gear I need. Is the Oceanic practical for beginner wreck dives in the 80-130ft range? Vise versa is Petrel practical for normal recreational dives, or is it more of a tech exclusive deal? Out of curiosity, why do tech divers seem to prefer wrist mounted computers vs a Console such as the Cobalt 2 which is my eventual target computer?
Please forgive the number of question's, I'm totally new to this.

Back
Top Bottom