Need New Computer Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kicker1866

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks,

Just got back from a couple of deep dives where I should have not have gotten thrown into deco, but did. I about sick if this Tusa Air Zen....looking for suggestions on my next computer. Here is what I'm looking for

- doubles as watch in dive trips
- hose less
- dual transmitters so I can keep track of son's gas
- big digital display ( No readers in my mask)
- Nitrox (obviously)

Go.

Hi folks,

Just got back from a couple of deep dives where I should have not have gotten thrown into deco, but did. I about sick if this Tusa Air Zen....

OK, I'll start!

So, you are looking for a computer which will not cause as much nitrogen loading with your deep profiles?

Ok, I'll take a stab. Not sure any DC will fit all your requirements but it seems that BT is most important to you. Looks like the Tusa uses a version of the Buhlmann ZHL- 16c so a DC that runs DSAT should meet this requirement. That sounds like Oceanic...

The Oceanic Atom 3.1 gives a choice of algorithms including DSAT, has a watch function, wireless transmitter, monitors up to 3 transmitters, nitrox obviously...

You will have to decide if the display meets you needs.

Last edited:
I vaguely remember a post from a few years ago where it was suggested that Oceanic does not implicitly support checking your buddy's transmitter. It might've been some sort of legal thing but you'll notice they don't say you can in any of their descriptions. You would think it wouldn't matter whose carrying the transmitter as long as you're close enough but it's something to check on b4 purchase.

Otherwise I thought of Oceanic also when reading your requirements. Suunto's are too conservative even though the "D" series are all watch models.

The other option is a Liquivision Lynx - it's just not what I'd consider a "watch". I don't know if it actually tells time on the surface. Certainly meets your "readability" requirement.
The Lynx computer is compatible with the U-2 tank transmitter, which allows you to monitor not only your air supply, but your buddy's air supply and directional location! - See more at: Liquivision Lynx

As far as the Algorithm used, I did find this. I don't know what it means.

Lynx will have the same algorithm as Xeo, i.e. Buhlmann ZH-L16C algorithm with optional Gradient Factors

Also, the Lynx will offer s 2 modes: Rec and Tec:
- REC MODE allows 1 gas to be used, such as Air, Nx 32 or Nx36. This mode can quickly calculate your NDL and provide current saturation information between dives. It offers 3 levels of conservatism and the option to simulate the dive on the computer before getting in the water. There is a large and detailed logbook, which includes dive graphs of each dive.
Capture.JPG

Wear as a watch and BIG DIGITAL display don't go hand in hand.

The OC1 will meet your watch requirement. It may not meet your BIG DISPLAY requirement. It will push your NDL when running DSAT at 1.6 on repetitive deeper dives.

You can monitor up to 3 transmitters, just not at the same time. You also would have to have your son in transmitter range to monitor his gas. (this would hold true for most DCs)

You're asking for a lot out of one DC in a watch sized package.

So you did some deep dives with a computer, it put you into deco. You think you should NOT be in deco with that profile. How do you decide that? Did you compare you profile with a table? Did you ever consider your profile should really be a deco profile?

I think the minute you don't trust a computer, you should run use bottom timer and table. But still, be a bit conservative always a good thing.

So you did some deep dives with a computer, it put you into deco. You think you should NOT be in deco with that profile. How do you decide that? Did you compare you profile with a table? Did you ever consider your profile should really be a deco profile?

I think the minute you don't trust a computer, you should run use bottom timer and table. But still, be a bit conservative always a good thing.

The biggest problem with this board us that when one asks a simple question everyone scrutinizes the reason why the question was asked. I appreciate the concern. I am a safe diver. How did I decide I should not have been in deco? I dive very similar profiles and have not been indeco in this dive before, I had my Mares Ouck strapped next to the Tusa and saw the big difference between the two, my dive buddies were diving the same profile and did not even get close to deco. Candidly, I think there is even a chance the thing is broke....but either way I do not find it to be a user friendly computer. *sigh*...is is ok to go back to simply asking for suggestions on a new computer?

Back
Top Bottom