smartcom IrDA problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deal Me In

Registered
Reaction score
i'm having a problem with my smartcom and connecting it to my computer. i've connected it to my computer several times via the infared port. yesterday i went to download some new dives and couldn't connect.

i've unistalled and reinstalled the smartrak software. i've done the same thing with the IrDA port. my computer tells me that the port is working properly. i've rebooted my computer. i can't think of anything else to do.

i don't know if this is related but when i run the smartrak software all my other dives where gone (before i reinstalled)

if anyone has any idea's i would love to hear them. i don't keep a physical log book all my dives are stored on my computer so i really need to be able to retrieve them.

thanks for your time.

Deal Me In:
i'm having a problem with my smartcom and connecting it to my computer. i've connected it to my computer several times via the infared port. yesterday i went to download some new dives and couldn't connect.

i've unistalled and reinstalled the smartrak software. i've done the same thing with the IrDA port. my computer tells me that the port is working properly. i've rebooted my computer. i can't think of anything else to do.

i don't know if this is related but when i run the smartrak software all my other dives where gone (before i reinstalled)

if anyone has any idea's i would love to hear them. i don't keep a physical log book all my dives are stored on my computer so i really need to be able to retrieve them.

thanks for your time.

Deal-

If you're running XP, try going to the Control Panel's Wireless Link applet. On the second tab (Image Transfer), see if the "Use Wireless Link to transfer images from a digital camera to you computer." is checked. If it is, try unchecking it and trying your smartcom transfer again. I don't have a smartcom, but this step was necessary for me to use the infrared port to sync my PocketPC with my notebook.

Good luck.

I don't have a solution to this problem, but having had my SmartCom through the change over from one computer to another I can suggest that you make a backup copy of your .slg files, regularly. This will make sure you don't lose your divelogs by some computer crash. Just take a minute to copy your .slg files to a CD-Rom or even a floppy disk after each new dive computer download. Then if you have a problem with your computer just re-install them where you got them from (like My Logbooks, under My Documents) on some computers. I could be wrong, but I think this is the standard default location for SmartTrak. This way you still have an up-to-date copy of your dive log, it only takes a few minutes and it could save your sanity!!

I had lots of problems trying to connect using my old PC (Windows 98). I since then got a newer PC, XP and bought a peripheral IrDA (U2IrDA - from ebay $18). It works great and I haven't had any problems connecting to our Smart Pros.

What you can try is to run the program (Smart Track) or IrDA drivers under a Windows emulator (98)

Go to Programs - Accessories - Program Compatibility Wizard and follow the directions to allow it to run under 98 mode.

This might not work - as you said it worked one time then the next it didn't. Something had to have changed! Find out what - as having managed numerous IT shops and Help Desks, I've found that PC settings almost always get changed by the users (even if they don't remember doing it - they think they did something else).

Try getting the most recent version for the IrDA drivers - and make sure they are currently on the PC. I don't think that the problem is your Smart - but the possibility exists - can you get another one to see if you can connect to it?

Let me know if you get it going. Good luck.

Any luck getting this to work?

I've tried using uwatec's MA-600 (serial connector) and also a generic USB connected IRDA. Neither works on my home computer, both work great on my new computer at the office, go figure.

Home computer updated with all the latest drivers from microsoft. None of the above suggestions worked for me.

Update:
Finally found out why!

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=26139&highlight=irda

http://forums.deeperblue.net/archive/topic/49888-1.html

Turns out McAfee has a background program interfering with the IRDA. Cancelled the task and it works fine (McVSEscn.exe). Difference is I was using Norton anti-virus at work and McAfee at home.

Back
Top Bottom