Need Opinions: wrist computer vs. watch/computer combo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gizmogirl

Reaction score
Hi,
I need some opinions and I hope you all can help. I have been reading the boards for a few weeks now, gathering info about different wrist computers.

My dilema: I am getting married and I want to get a computer for my fiance. I got a pretty ring so I want to get him something cool. He currently has an Eco-drive Professional Divers watch that he wears everyday. He has a dive computer by US Divers that works okay. I am trying to decide if I should get him a straight wrist computer (Suunto Mosquito) or a watch combo that he could wear everyday (leaning toward the Citizen Promaster Aqualand MA9040-logs up to 30 dives, downloadable).

I really liked the Stinger, but the SS is really heavy, and the Titanium has Gold embelishments which he specifically said he did not want. Trivial reason, I know, but his opinion nonetheless. I was able to compare the two at my LDS and the SS is much heavier than what he wears now.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Something to use everyday or just when diving?

Thanks.

I have a stinger, and I really like it. I have the rubber watch band rather than the metal band. However I also am getting dinged for $150 to replace the battery and a couple o-rings [2 years, 140 dives]

Well that's a nice gift. I personally like to keep my dive watch separate from my dive computer. I wear my dive computer on my wrist and currently use an Aeris Atmos 2. It is a very good computer with an excellent user interface. There are many other wrist computers that others like out there. If you really want to get a cool wrist computer you might look at the Aeris Elite, which is a computer that you wear on your wrist and it incorporates wireless technology to provide the user with information about the amount of air left and amount of dive time left based upon air consumption. You might try Scuba Toys at www.scubatoys.com or Leisure Pro at www.leisurepro.com to get some good deals.

gizmogirl:
Hi,

I really liked the Stinger, but the SS is really heavy, and the Titanium has Gold embelishments which he specifically said he did not want. Trivial reason, I know, but his opinion nonetheless.
Thanks.

i have the stainless steel version, rubber band. i also didn't get the titanium version because of the golden parts (i really hate golden bits in stainless steel).

i'm used to heavy watches and the stinger is, maybe, a bit heavier than some of my "regular" watches. all i can say is that, since i got it, it's been on my wrist all the time and i got used the the weight real easy.
it's a beautiful watch/computer and the mosquito doesn't even come close to it in terms of "watchness". it looks like a regular plastic watch (which it is).
computer wise it's almost the same thing (discussed in other threads) but, if your future husband likes stainless steel, i can tell you that he'll love the watch.

I would wait a few weeks for the new Mares Nemo computer to be released.

The titanium version has no golden parts and the price will be about the same as the SS version of the Suunto STINGER.
It has the same functions as the STINGER and can be used with a pc interface aswell.

So if you want a COOL looking, light weight computer that can be used as an everyday watch then I think the Mares Nemo Titanium will be a winner!

Have a look at it here:
http://www.mares.com/product.asp?cat=6&prod=150

-Karsten-

Denmark:
Mares Nemo Titanium

Have a look at it here:
http://www.mares.com/product.asp?cat=6&prod=150

Sweet!!! That Nemo looks nice!

I have a Mosquito that I use on my dives (duh!) but would never wear as a full-time watch. The "crystal" is too soft and gets easily scratched. Scratched it on a wall in Coz... a restaraunt wall unfortunately :15a:

Leisurepro.com has 'em for a bit over $300... not a bad price. I do wish I would have waited and gotten a Suunto Vytec or something similiar with a hoseless transmitter but now we're talking serious money!

gizmogirl:
Hi,
I need some opinions and I hope you all can help. I have been reading the boards for a few weeks now, gathering info about different wrist computers.

My dilema: I am getting married and I want to get a computer for my fiance. I got a pretty ring so I want to get him something cool. He currently has an Eco-drive Professional Divers watch that he wears everyday. He has a dive computer by US Divers that works okay. I am trying to decide if I should get him a straight wrist computer (Suunto Mosquito) or a watch combo that he could wear everyday (leaning toward the Citizen Promaster Aqualand MA9040-logs up to 30 dives, downloadable).

I really liked the Stinger, but the SS is really heavy, and the Titanium has Gold embelishments which he specifically said he did not want. Trivial reason, I know, but his opinion nonetheless. I was able to compare the two at my LDS and the SS is much heavier than what he wears now.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Something to use everyday or just when diving?

Thanks.

A dive watch works just fine for most diving by someone who really knows what they are doing. The only other thing that is needed would be a depth gauge. A digital depth gauge gives you better control over your ascent rate. Your fiance's US Divers computer is probably more than adequate as a depth gauge.

Your fiance may love his watch, and may not want a new dive computer.

Rather than a computer, you may want to get him a basic underwater camera, if he does not already have one. They run in the range of $1000 or so, for a basic model, which can be fun, for the 2 of you, if he does not already have a more expensive model already. That would be cool for both of you.

My wife and I have a rule: NO expensive surprise gifts. So you may want to take him camera shopping with you, before you buy anything.

Welcome to Scubaboard!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom