suunto gekko

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Im lookin to buy my first computer and have come across the Suunto gekko.
The info given on website says No pc interface(Ican live with out that)but it also says no simulation features.What does this mean?As a realitive newbie do Ineed this feature?
Should I just get a vyper or mosquito

Cheers
J

Man the PC interface is a great thing to have, seriousli you might wanna reconsider. Simulation lets you plug in different variables such as bottom time, depth gas used etc, and will show you your tissue loading (theoratical). You can use this fearture to plan your dives. I honestlyy have only used this once but again the PC interface rocks!

The Gekko is a reduced version of the Suunto/Vyper. I think that it has a feature to "reset" the computer, which is a good feature for diving clubs who rent the computers.

I don't find the "simulation" feature in the computer so practical. Much better to use Suunto's Dive Manager where you can simulate dives and get graphical visualization of N2 loading, dive profiles etc.

In my opinion, the PC interface is a good thing. It allows you to see the profiles of all your dives, and one can learn a lot about his diving habits from these profiles. Soon you'll see how your true ascent rates are, how good are your safety stops, how many dives you made with saw-profiles, how close to NDL limits you are and so on. These are things that many divers tend to forget or do not pay attention to. Now you'll be able to see how you dive and if needed- correct the bad habits :) I think it is worth the extra $ for a full Vyper. You can DIY the interface or buy from Jamie in this forum and thus reduce some of the extra expense.

raptordude:
Im lookin to buy my first computer and have come across the Suunto gekko.
The info given on website says No pc interface(Ican live with out that)but it also says no simulation features.What does this mean?As a realitive newbie do Ineed this feature?
Should I just get a vyper or mosquito

Cheers
J
i just bought the gekko but haven't used it yet
you can view a dive history on screen not sure how many it saves but think it is 99 or so.

good enough for me who does one or two dive vacations per year.

Jai Bar:
I don't find the "simulation" feature in the computer so practical.
The lack of simulation features hampers you ability to plan dives. With the Gecko you can only check NDLs based on your current status. With the Vyper you do with or several other things. You can start with your current status and see what the NDL will look like if you extended your surface interval by some period of time. You can also walk through an entire dive and watch the computer display. Sure you can do with Suunto's dive manager software but will you have that at the dive site? I don't think you can adequately plan dives using a computer with out these features.

Get a downloadable dive computer, saves time logging dives in the long run!!! Without the dive plan you could easily run into problems in the field if you don't know your dive tables off by heart (i'm sure not many do). With a quick look at the dive plan you can see how deep and for how long your next dive can be. Can be very useful!!!!

jwal001:
Get a downloadable dive computer, saves time logging dives in the long run!!! Without the dive plan you could easily run into problems in the field if you don't know your dive tables off by heart (i'm sure not many do). With a quick look at the dive plan you can see how deep and for how long your next dive can be. Can be very useful!!!!

The Gekko have dive planner. It doesn't have Dive Simulation. I thought it was the same thing, but after reading the Gekko manual, it is a completely different thing.

The PC interface....... I'm also considering whether I need that or not.

DeepTrip:
The PC interface....... I'm also considering whether I need that or not.
You don't. You also don't need a computer. Somethings are just nice to have.

The Gekko also is only air/nitrox....it can not be set to gauge mode, a feature you may want in the future.

Back
Top Bottom