Endless Trouble with an Oceanic VEO 3.0 Wrist, wondering if it can be "fixed"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pscottbaker

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've had an Oceanic VEO 3.0 Wrist dive computer for about 5 years now and I don't think it has ever worked properly. I can't even list the various problems I have had with it, they range from an inability to be manually reset to factory settings to flashing indecipherable characters on the display and emitting audible violation alerts at the 30 minute mark during the first dive of the day on the first day of the trip at a depth of less than 60 feet.

Fortunately, between my wife and I, she has a Cochran that has been dependable for almost 9 years now so each time I "reconfigure" my Oceanic VEO 3.0 I think to myself "it will work this time, I just know it", but it never does.

Oceanic wants a couple hundred dollars (including shipping) to supposedly "fix" it. Naturally, I'm quite unhappy at that prospect, but if they can actually fix it, then I have the dive computer I always wanted when I made the purchase.

My question: Has anyone ever had an Oceanic VEO 3.0 wrist, had trouble with it, sent it to Oceanic for "repair" and been satisfied with the result?

Because I could use that @ $200 for repairs towards a new dive computer.

I could really use some advice on this, so any feedback is appreciated.

Sorry, mine works perfectly since I bought it 3-4 years ago. Too bad you didn't deal with it during warranty period. I'm not trying to blame you for not having done that. However, if you don't bother to get it fixed or replaced, what's the point in earing it at all. There's no relying on it.

Yeah, you're right on both counts. So just to be clear...you do have the same dive computer? The Oceanic VEO 3.0 Wrist dive computer... if you do and you haven't had any trouble with it, then I'm inclined to pay the cost of repairs.

Here's a link to the dive computer on the Oceanic site in case you want to compare it to yours for verification:
VEO 3.0

BTW, I do appreciate your response.

Yes, that's definitely it.

Don't have a 3.0 but do have a veo. In general it is a good computer but it is very sensitive to battery types. It likes Panasonic and Sony batteries. Anything else and it will give me a lot of the issues you are having. Was told it has to do with the actual output current. Having an electronics background I know this is possible. It may be worth trying before you spend a couple hundred bucks.

I had a VEO 2.0, that I got off Ebay W/O warranty, after 240 dives it started going flakey. Sent it to Oceanic with a check for $110, for a non warranty repair. A week later they call back and told me they were unable to verify the fault but asked if I would accept an exchange unit, I agreed. A few days later a new VEO 3.0 with Warranty showed up on my porch. I have been using it for 6 months now and I am very happy with the 3.0.
For $110 (not a couple hundred) I think they have a very good non warranty repair service.

Back
Top Bottom