Suunto SK7 Retractable Compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crestgel

Contributor
Reaction score
I decided on getting a Suunto SK7 compass. Does anyone have a pic of the retractable version of one, I can't find it on their website. I may decide to get the wrist version and make it retractable instead. There is a price diffrence of about 30.00.

Am I correct to say that they took the Wrist Watch SK7 removed the band and simple attached it to a retractable cord?

crestgel:
Am I correct to say that they took the Wrist Watch SK7 removed the band and simple attached it to a retractable cord?

No. The retractable has a flat angled surface and fits easier in your hand than the non retractable. If you want the retractable spend the extra $. I tried putting a retractor my old bungieed SK7 - it looked sloppy and it was not as easy to line up. When somone stole my SK7, i replaced it with a retractable. either way, you cant go wrong with the sk7

Have you gotten your Suunto SK7 Retractable Compass? This is the one I was looking to get and I want to know if you, or anyone else who sees this, like it.

kbfwa:
Have you gotten your Suunto SK7 Retractable Compass? This is the one I was looking to get and I want to know if you, or anyone else who sees this, like it.

Holding the compass in one hand, and the console in the other was a pain. Going the right way (compass) is important, but so is maintaining correct depth... so I was holding both and it was not working for me.

So I got smart, and went AI and attached the compass to the AI brick (Oceanic DataTrans Plus.) better (Only one hand full now) but with the depth and pressure on the retractor, I found I wasn't monitoring depth well throughout the dive.

I finally went to compass on the left wrist, depth / time on the right wrist. This dashboard config changed everything for me. No more danglies, constant flow of information throughout the dive with just a glance, much smoother profiles, etc.

For me, going to wrist gauges made the most sense. I've never regretted it.

K

Well I just love mine. I have it attached to a D ring on my BC right side and it is so easy to get to and use. As far as monitoring depth while taking a heading it is not that difficult at all since I like to have my hands out in front of me while moving anyway.

I used both a console and wrist mount but much prefer the retractable. It is whatever floats your boat.

I have had my retractable SK7 for a couple of years now and it is great. I also have a wrist mounted computer, so it is pretty easy to use. The SK7 gives you an accurate reading even if you are off level, unlike some other compasses. The only problem that I have is that I needed to get one of the magnifying lenses for my mask, after I got that I found that there were numbers on the compass and there was a display on my computer! Getting old sucks.

Toby :seen:

Back
Top Bottom