Suunto Cobra Quick Disconnect

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubyDoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Im considering purchasing the quick disconnect for my Suunto Cobra. I think it would be easier for downloading my dives to my PC if I dont have to drag along my first and second stage, octo, and LP hose along with the cobra. Also, I think it would help protect it from clanging into the aforementioned items between dives. My question is this: Does anyone have any practical experience using the quick disconnect, and if so, how does it perform? I would think it has some potential for causing problems. Thanks in advance!!

I have about 20 dives with mine and I haven't had any problems with it. I got it for the exact reasons you mentioned, it's much easier to pull the dives off of, and I can keep it seperate from the rest of my gear when I'm not using it (ie. plane, dive boat, etc...). However, I don't think I would use it on a technical dive because it is an additional failure point. In that situation I would go with a wrist mount, non-integrated computer like the Vyper.

Originally posted by ScubyDoo
I would think it has some potential for causing problems.

What are the potential problems?
What are the failure modes and how could they be resolved?
What are the consequences any unresolved failures?

Uncle Pug,

My largest concern is the potential for air leakage. Im concerned how tight a seal is achieved with the quick disconnect. The only comparison I can think of is the disconnect on the BCD hose, but that is a low pressure hose. Should there be an air leak at the quick disconnect at depth, it would pretty much end the dive.

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
Is there any possibility that the unit could disconnect u/w and be lost along with dive information?

Actually, I thought the same thing and DID not purchase it. On my last dive, I saw a lady that had the set up... she aired everything up and gave me the unit... she said go ahead and disconnect it. I couldn't do it easily with the pressure of the tank on it. I think it is safe, and I will go out and buy one.

My wife and I both have the quick disconnect on our Cobras. No problems at all. It's nice for uplaoding dives to the PC, and running simulation dives (thats what I do on the plane sometimes).

I think the only way it could come undone at depth is if it was intentionaly disconnected (but don't forget Murphy's Law).

Thanks everyone! This is just the kind of help I needed. Good ole practical hands on experience, and from sources I can trust! One more question......how difficult is it to install? Can I install myself, or should I have my LDS install it for me? I guess the safe thing to do is let the pros do it. Tavi - Good idea about doing the sims on the plane! I'll have to remember that!!

AKA the "Aqualung Hoses" thread... :tease: Here is the link...

http://www.scubaboard.com/t5578/s.html

I should be easy, but you will have to take the Cobra out of it's boot!

It's actually not hard to install the quick disconnect yourself, but if given a choice, I would have your LDS do it for you. They should be able to do it at no extra charge. (that is if you buy it from them).

I originally had my LDS install it but they hooked it up from the first stage to the hose and I didn't care too much for that set up so I ended up changing it from the hose to the computer and it was not hard at all.

However, no matter who isnstalls it, hook it up to a tank and put it under water to make sure there are no bubbles coming out from it.

Happy diving....

Triton

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom