Mixed Gas Computer Comparison:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Mario

We ordered 2 of the Abyss Explorers about 1 year ago. They have had some delays getting it to market. From what I understand it should be delivered sometime this spring. I'am not going to DEMA, but a coupla guys from the store are going and should know more on their return. I have heard nothing on the OMS product and we are a major OMS dealer. Things that make you say hmmnn.

Mario,

OMS is only the US distributor for the VR3.
Kevin Gurr (UK IANTD) is the primary force behind the development of the unit. I have heard positive comments about the unit from some divers (mainly rebreather guys).
I can give you a couple of contact names of folks who have used it if you want.

The Abyss unit was demo'd by Kurt Bowen, Advanced Diver publisher/author and a report is in the latest issue (#7). The Abyss has been vaporware for some time, 2+ years, and I was surprised that it finally has made it into production.

brad

Thanks for the replys everyone. Yes, I am aware that the VR3 is mearly distributed by OMS, it was introduced at DEMA last year in Las Vegas. The unit is actually produced and/or developed by Delta P Technology in Serndown, England. I think of the two I am more interested in this unit, but I don't have enough input from divers that have used both to choose one yet.

The VR3 does Nitrox & Mixed Gas calculations for as many as 10 mixes down to 500 feet, has a backlite screen, audible (programmable) alarms, ascent rate indicator, user replaceable batteries, works with open circuit scuba or rebreather etc. What makes the VR3 stand out is that it has an infrared link to your personal computer and the deco software which makes the custom programming very simple, as well as logging dives after the dive.

The VR3 is advertised everywhere OMS is, I've seen it on their website, their brochures and their magazine ads as well, but I still don't have the nitty gritty on it... at least not for a few more days now. It's on my DEMA list! I'll let everyone know what I find out when I get back.

Brad, could you have your friends post here, so that everyone might benefit from the exchange?

LOL, we can all read the promo material. I have not heard of anyone that has used both but I have not really been trying to find out either. It is unlikely that my buddies would post here. You could always join the rebreather list and ask there. However, the signal to noise ratio is very high. Such is the nature of the internet any more.

I am curious, Do you have a real use for one of these or are you drooling over the new toys?
If you bought one would it be for OC or breather?
If OC what would you use as backup and why?

Brad

P.S. Make sure and stop by Dive Rite and take a look at my latest toy that would work very well with this stuff if you are diving and mixing Trimix.....

What new toy has Dive Rite got... ???
C'mon, now, tell us...
Rick

I've looked into the DiveRite, but correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the DR only do 3 mixes?

My interest in the units is due to actual use, now and in the near future. For now it will be Open Circuit but in a few more months I will be adding CCR to it as well. I can understand that most people you talk to over the web are people whom just dream and drool over new gear, that just doesn't happen to be the case here. Everything in my garage gets used often...

If these pages aren't configured for you friends, perhaps you can have them e-mail me and make some recommendations. I'm sure that we can accomodate. We have some surprises in store for the technical diving community, that we will be talking about very soon. This site will be THE site for the technical diver, as it will be for many other dive related subjects.

My crystal ball hasn't been wrong yet! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom