Do you dive with a compass?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MNScuba

Reaction score
Just wondering how many people here dive with a compass, or if it's all that necessary. If you do dive with one, is it wrist or console mounted and do you use it very often?

Yes
Suunto, left wrist
Often

ID

It depends on the dive. I use a compass when I need one. Usually on a dive with low viz or I may be unfamiliar with the area. If it's a float dive, why bother?

I use the suunto console mounted compass. I highly recommend a compass even if you have good viz. Depending were you dive it can change quickly, therefore is a sort of safety blanket. In good viz it will just make the dive more effecient. hope that helps.

I almost always wear a compass. It seems that whenever I don't wear it, I find some reason underwater to wish I had (for example, because I found something I'd like to be able to find again).

I have a fairly dinky Dacor compass mounted in a rubber wrist boot, but with the rubber strap replaced with some bungees. Fits great, and is easy to use.

- Warren

Compass on a console for every dive. I actually use it when diving an unfamiliar site, but once I have a mental map of the dive site, I rarely look at it unless the vis is shot.

:confused: Compass ?? Oh, is that the thing on my dresser ?? :confused:

I use the compass in my head mostly because the places that I normally dive have high iron content and tend to mess up the compass. However, if I do use it, I usually have it on the wrist, but mostly it stays at home.

Like Drew, mine is on my console. I tend to use it only for class demonstration, or at an unfamiliar site.

Back
Top Bottom