Orca Marathon Battery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PapaBob

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I have an Orca Marathon dive computer that still works but the battery is getting low. Anyone got a line on how to get a replacement battery? Thanks

---Bob

ScubaBOBuba:
I have an Orca Marathon dive computer that still works but the battery is getting low. Anyone got a line on how to get a replacement battery? Thanks

---Bob

Hi Bob--

I've got an old Sherwood Sigma II computer, that I'm dusting off after 14 years of not diving. From images I've seen, it looks substantially identical to the Orca Marathon/Skinny Dipper II. Certainly uses the same 3 each CR 1/2 AA 3.6v lithium batteries.

Ordering through Orca, you need a PayPal account. However, I just received a set of these batteries through www.batteries.com. They're listed on the invoice as TC-4521 Helios EcoCell Battery. $8.99 each.

Now, while we're on the subject... Any idea where I can find a manual for the Sigma II/Marathon/Skinny Dipper II?

--Marek

Discount Divers Supply has the battery as well -- $29.95 IIRC.

I misplaced my manual for my Marathon as well. Anybody either know where I can get a new one or be willing to photocopy/scan theirs? I would certainly be willing to Paypal for postage/copy costs.

Hi again, Bill.

If you manage to get to the Marathon parts price list on http://www.orcadivecomputer.com/prod3.htm, you can order a downloadable PDF manual for $5.00, paid through PayPal -- no postage. Sounds like a good deal, except I can't sign up for PayPal because I'm living overseas now.

Um, if you do manage to get the PDF manual downloaded, maybe we can cut some kind of deal? :icecream1

--Marek

bill_bain:
Discount Divers Supply has the battery as well -- $29.95 IIRC.

I misplaced my manual for my Marathon as well. Anybody either know where I can get a new one or be willing to photocopy/scan theirs? I would certainly be willing to Paypal for postage/copy costs.

Thanks to all for your help.

Dave: I clicked on your lead. The site has email addresses but I could not find a direct order page. I sent Orca an email and I am sure they will reply.

Marek: The battery is a single unit but could be 3 in a stack as you suggest. I guess I dont want to take a chance and would like to buy a dedicated ORCA battery. I looked for my Marathon manuel but it is long gone. I have used this unit for years without any problems, and if I can help you out please send a private mail.

Bill: Do you have a URL or phone number for Divers Direct?

Thanks again to all.

---Bob

Bob--

Hmmm... Good thing you didn't take my advice, after all.

Again, my computer is a Sherwood Sigma II. I know for a fact that it's an exact clone of the Orca Skinny Dipper II; and I suspect, but don't know for sure, that the Marathon is also identical. Anyway, the original batteries in it are three each Varta Lithium CR 1/2 AA. Not having been used since at least 1991, the batteries are still good. The computer fires up and goes through its pre-op check. I just don't know how to tell when the batteries are getting low. (Maybe you can tell me? Does something flash up during start-up?)

But those original Vartas are 3 volts each -- while the 1/2 AA batteries I just bought as replacements are 3.6 volts. I put those into the computer just now, and it didn't turn on.

I would have thought that CR 1/2 AA's are CR 1/2 AA's. Apparently not -- voltage can apparently vary.

So I'm going to look around some more for 3-volt CR 1/2 AA's, based on some other posts.

If you want an original Marathon battery pack, they seem to be available at http://www.orcadivecomputer.com/prod3.htm. It's $32.00, but you need a PayPal account. Unfortunately, since I'm living overseas right now, PayPal won't allow me to establish an account.

I'd love to get some brief guidance on how my computer works, assuming it's the same as the Marathon. (The above link has an image of the Marathon, and it sure looks identical.) But being new to this forum, I've searched the FAQs but am not quite sure how to send a private e-mail. Help?

--Marek

ScubaBOBuba:
Thanks to all for your help.

Dave: I clicked on your lead. The site has email addresses but I could not find a direct order page. I sent Orca an email and I am sure they will reply.

Marek: The battery is a single unit but could be 3 in a stack as you suggest. I guess I dont want to take a chance and would like to buy a dedicated ORCA battery. I looked for my Marathon manuel but it is long gone. I have used this unit for years without any problems, and if I can help you out please send a private mail.

Bill: Do you have a URL or phone number for Divers Direct?

Thanks again to all.

---Bob

Thanx for the URL. Can't speak for the Skinny Dipper, but the Maratho battery is definitely a 3 pack. On the Marathon at least, it says "Lo EE" when you turn it on if the batteries are low.

I ordered a new battery anda pdf manual from Orca using Paypal. Paypal says it made the payment but Orca's website doesn't give any sort of order confirmation so I'll have to call them on Monday.

Hi Marek K,
I have had a Skinny Dipper II for many years, and it shows battery level during startup as follows:
after a number of displays, we get, (in sequence);
the 3 vertical levels of display are as in the SDII:
First, Then then then then

"LO" "EE" ###**

"LO" "EE" "or"* "go" /////

"LO" "EE" "up" 32

* "or" means "out of range"

**this is the ### that shows battery voltage:
According to the manual,signifying:
75-120: Normal operation
63-74: normal operation, with a flashing "lo" during use.
46-62 No LEDS ,and 2 "Lo" flashes
30-45: 3 "lo",and no new start up.
0-29 shut down
Personally, i'd replace batteries if this number gets below 63.
BTW, the "32" in the final display is a pressure calibration32,33,or 34 are ok for sea level.

Hope this helps,
Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom