Oceanic Datamax Sport Battery Replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Junbug1970

Registered
Reaction score
Hello All,

I just recently acquired Oceanic Datamax Sport computer and the battery needs to be replace. According to the manual, an older model has no battery compartment and need to be sent out to have the battery replace. Is this True?

Does anyone know how to replace the battery on the older model? If you can't, do you know how much does Oceanic charges to do so?

Please Help.

Thanks a bunch

Junus

Look at the back of the computer.
If it is in a console, take it out.

If there is a slot that fits a US quarter on edge then it is new enough for the user to change the battery.

If you are not sure of what you are doing it is probably better to take it to a dive shop where they can quickly tell you which it is and they can safely change the battery if it is the newer model.

its out of its boot and the back just has round with 3 holes for the sensor i imagine, but no battery compartment.

the newer one shown in the manual has the batter compartment and the round circle with the 3 holes next to it.

Junbug1970:
Hello All,

I just recently acquired Oceanic Datamax Sport computer and the battery needs to be replace. According to the manual, an older model has no battery compartment and need to be sent out to have the battery replace. Is this True?

Does anyone know how to replace the battery on the older model? If you can't, do you know how much does Oceanic charges to do so?

Please Help.

Thanks a bunch

Junus

My husband has one and was told by the LDS only the facoty can repalce the battery. But another LDS (semi-local--couple hours away but I like them) said they know the computer and when the battery does, bring it in and they'll change it. They've done stuff for me that everyone else said couldn't be done (right now they are trying to contact Suunto about my dying computer) and I know if it's remotely possible to get something fixed, they can. I noticed one of the dive mag recently used them for some technical advice too, just so you don't think they're shade-tree mechanics.

Fine a local shop that doesn't give you crap about "did you buy it from us? If not, then you're out of luck." Ask around and if you come up blank, I'll give you the contact info for these folks and you might could ship it to them!

Robin

WoW,

That's Great Robin.

I love those kinds of shop, but unfortuntely we dont have those nice shops around here in chicago land area. lol

If you could email me with their information to junus_ong@hotmail.com would be greatly appreciated and if i can use your name for a reference would be nice too.

Any particular person i should ask.

I have aladin air x that i would like the battery change too since i have 51% on it.

Thank you again,

Junus

In case anyone refers back to this old thread ...

Disclaimer: I'm a diver; I'm not a dive master, technician or anything other than a diver.
First, DO NOT put anything into the 3 holes on the back; those are the sensors (they're not screws).

0816200809270.jpg

- unscrew round bezel on back
0816200809271.jpg

0816200809280.jpg

- carefully pull the back off slowly (!!CAREFULL!! there's a computer ribbon stip attached to the unit and back)
0816200809320.jpg

- remove/replace battery
0816200809321.jpg

- RECOMMENDED: replace o-ring
- reinstall bezel using clear silicon grease lubricant

That's it; TEST before attempting to use!!!!!!!!!

I already replaced the battery. I'm pretty sure that most of us have the same issue, in that after replacement, the unit powers on, cycles through test mode, then turns off. Is there some method that needs to be followed in order to maintain proper function? Does it lose all memory if you disconnect the battery? There are 4 pins inside at 9:00 oclock if you have the battery on top. Are those possibly an interface for the techie nerds at Oceanic to connect to and reapply the software? Or possibly just something needs to be shorted/jumpered when inserting the battery. Maybe someone from Oceanic could help us, or maybe even someone who's worked on these things and figured it out. Heck, if its an interface, I'm willing to make one if someone can get me the files/eproms necessary for reprogramming.

Thanks,
Wormie:shakehead::shakehead::D:shakehead::shakehead:

I already replaced the battery. I'm pretty sure that most of us have the same issue, in that after replacement, the unit powers on, cycles through test mode, then turns off. Is there some method that needs to be followed in order to maintain proper function? Does it lose all memory if you disconnect the battery? There are 4 pins inside at 9:00 oclock if you have the battery on top. Are those possibly an interface for the techie nerds at Oceanic to connect to and reapply the software? Or possibly just something needs to be shorted/jumpered when inserting the battery. Maybe someone from Oceanic could help us, or maybe even someone who's worked on these things and figured it out. Heck, if its an interface, I'm willing to make one if someone can get me the files/eproms necessary for reprogramming.

Thanks,
Wormie:shakehea d::shakehead::shakehead:

Did you manage to get your computer working after chaning the battery ?
I am in the same situation.

Back
Top Bottom