Aeris vs. Suunto vs. Oceanic computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingDoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm in the research phase of buying dive computer along with my first reg and BC.

I am a very visual person, and therefore the colorful graphics of the Aeris and Oceanic lines of computers appeal to me. I have heard, though, that Suunto is very good.

Which dive computer would you recommend?

How important is air integration?

I am concerned that the Suunto mosquito might be a bit small for my presbyopic eyes. Have any of you who require reading glasses used one?

What think ye all?

I use an Oceanic Data Max Pro Plus (DMPP) and my husband uses a Suunto Vyper. I like the DMPP for several reasons. The bigger numbers make it easy to see with these old eyes, you can program the displays to show you the information you want to see at a glance, although the rest is available at a buttons touch. Nitrox settings are easy to change, just four button pushes compared to 14 for the Vyper! (I think that's accurate. If not it's real close!) The graphs are easy to read. It's a little less conservative than the Vyper.

It's hard to tell you the differences in the two computers, they use different algorythms. Either one would be an excellent computer for you. I've dived with a Mosquito and you're right, it's very hard to see even with that magnifying cover thingy!

Double post made by me (how'd that happen?) and deleted by me!

Originally posted by DivingDoc
What think ye all?
ET
I've had all three brands:

Currently I use a Suunto Stinger watch...
But I must admit that the numbers are hard for my eyes to see...
I use it in gauge mode exclusively...
They are very conservative in computer mode.

Both Aeris and Oceanic are liberal computers...
I currently have an Aeris Savant that I do not use...
It is an Air/Nitrox computer and has very large numbers....
Easy to read!!!

I have had several different Oceanics and the were good too.

I personally would not want air integration.

I have an Aeris 300g air/nitrox computer and I like it very much. It is very easy to operate and understand with lots of features. My dive boddy uses a Suunto Cobra and he likes it just as well. One thing I can tell you for sure is that the Aeris computers are not conservative, they are very liberal compared to the Suuntos.

I took a look at both the Atmos Pro & the 300G and decided that I didn't want air integrated... so went with the Atmos Pro.

As far I know they have the same display, etc... which is nice and LARGE. There are lots of excellent features that are easy to use/configure. Plus it has a backlit display that you can activate for night time.

A good, easy to use (and read) computer. Esp for us bifocal types! :crazyeyes:

~SubMariner~

Originally posted by SubMariner
I took a look at both the Atmos Pro & the 300G and decided that I didn't want air integrated... so went with the Atmos Pro.

Several of you on this thread have mentioned that you did not want air integration -- why? What are the pros and cons?

I like the displays on the Aeris/Oceanic models, but they do not turn on automatically when you enter the water. I am concerned that I might forget to "press the button" when I get in the water.

Also, as I said, I like the large displays better.

What say ye about the conservatism of the Suuntos? Is that safer? Are the otherones unsafe?

A few years back I had a USD Scan 4, AI dive PC. It worked for all of 2 dives before the battery died. In the midst of a dive. Obviously, without knowing how much air I had remaining I had to abort the dive (which was a wonderful 70' dive around Walker's Cay in the Abacos). Reverted to my backup (non AI PC) to complete my dives until I could get a replacement battery.

After replacing the battery I got about 3 more dives out it; then it flooded. Again in the middle of a dive. Again I had to abort the dive. Reverted back to my non AI PC.

Of course USD wouldn't do anything but try to sell me a re-conditioned unit at "an unbeatable price". I ditched the unit & went back to my old non AI PC.

Then I went to Nitrox. Bought the Aeris Atmos Pro and still have my old non-AI PC as a back up. Plus a dive watch that I can pre-set to the NDL limit as a back up on the actual dive if the PC dies. At least I can still dive a "flat profile" if the PC quits because I still have a functioning SPG... something you DON'T have with AI.

~SubMariner~

I've got one of the new Oceanic Versa Pros, whichis very similar to one of the Aeris computers.

It is water activated, but I've never forgotten to switch it on before a dive - it does switch on automatically when I wash it.

Like the other Aeris and Oceanic's, the Versa Pro has large, easy to read characters. You can select between 3 screens as to what gets displayed (by default you get depth and bottom time remaining, but you can also get temperature, dive time, clock time and max depth).

Works well for me.

I just thought I would throw in a little side note, the Aeris 300G is not really air integrated, it will give you an alarm when your air supply gets to 500psi, but that is it. Ifthe batteries go out, the gauge still works.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom