Watch Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X

ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I need a functional watch as a backup timer. Looking for something with an easy to read display as I have over 40 eyes.

Also over 40. Picked up the Wal-Mart Aquatech for $4.99. Large display. Stainless back. Chrono, Alarm, etc. I only have 11 dives with max of 83 feet on it, but so far it has paid for itself. It's a backup after all. Chinese slave labor ROCKS!

mikelegurra:
if you prefer watches with hands i can recommend the seiko orange monster.
big luminous hands, orange dial (makes the hands stand out) and automatic.

picture can be found here
http://image.www.rakuten.co.jp/ip/img1010634197.jpeg

and the watch even looks nicer in your hands...
I hate to post what may seem like an Ebay ad...but I have a wrist computer, made by UWATEC..the aladin sport. It is only 1 1/2 years old, but i cannot find where or how much for the data cable/software to download to my laptop??....anyone have a clue where to look? ( i tried www.uwatec.com) :06:

i bought a timex from Mervyn's that is good to 200m (according to the literature) has a good one way bezel with a luminated arrow and a nice timer function in a window, thats a little hard to see in water but the hands are nice size, $45 on sale

It all depends on your budget. I just went through a similar search recently. On balance, I decided to go with a Suunto D3.

I already dive an Uwatec bottom timer. I really like the unit a lot except that it does not have a resettable timer built into the unit. Not a big deal except that I don't like having to rely on my memory for how long I have been at a deco stop. I was writing down my times on a slate as I carried out deco, however, I wanted to make my life easier.

Option one was to go with a cheapo watch. These work fine as long as they don't flood. If they do, who cares?! Back to KMart or wherever for another one. I know a lot of people who use this option and they are happy with it.

On the higher side, you can go with a dive computer. The price will go up a lot if you move in that direction. However, they typically have a lot of other features like the ability to download, back lighting, big numbers, etc. They often come with other things that you will not want or need especially if you are diving trimix. Then you have to really start moving up in price to find what you are looking for. I really don't want a computer at all but I like some of these other features.

I compromised with a Suunto D3. It does not take up much wrist real estate. The numbers are large and easy to read relative to the size of the unit. It has backlighting that you can turn on or off (conserves the battery) It has a resettable timer, which I use to time my deco stops. You can download it to dive log software on a PC (software is free download, the interface you can buy for about $50). It has a user replaceable battery kit that costs about $10. I paid $225 for my D3.

I have done two dives with it so far. It is a really good unit with a great balance of features and price. The manual is not what I would call "well written." However, you will figure out everything by reading the manual and playing with the unit.

I would go with a D3 again in a second.

overexposed2X:
I need a functional watch as a backup timer. Looking for something with an easy to read display as I have over 40 eyes.

After flooding a $75 so called dive watch @ 10 ft which I bought on sale for $20 @ Big5, I bought this one from Leisure pro and I am very happy with it. Dived to 100 ft with it already, no problems. Mine has the Dive flag also on the face just above 6 o'clock (not shown in picture). I got it with the rubber wrist band, and it plenty big enough to wear over wetsuit, or just on the wrist as a regular day to day watch.

David, (now 45 and got first pair of reading glasses)

http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=FSTHW

overexposed2X,

Basic Timex Ironman. Nice large numbers, backlight funtion if your diving at night or somewhere else where there isn't enough natural light, good to 100m and you should be able to find one for between $20-$30.

Rickg

rickg:
overexposed2X,

Basic Timex Ironman. Nice large numbers, backlight funtion if your diving at night or somewhere else where there isn't enough natural light, good to 100m and you should be able to find one for between $20-$30.

Rickg

I thought most dive watches reccommend not activating this feature underwater, as it causes flooding.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom