Suunto Mosquito - "Hidden" gauge mode?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bergersau

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi all, I wonder if anyone else can confirm this behaviour from their Suunto Mosquito?
I've found that by using the Sunto dive manager software on my P.C, I can change the Mosquito's sampling rate from it's default (either 30 or 60 seconds, I'd have to look it up to be sure ) to 10 seconds. This is done by using the TRANSFER, SETTINGS menu and selecting Stinger as the dive computer to transfer the setttings to. I've found this works fine for me (Just using the Mosquito as a backup computer for the experiment).
The interesting thing is that by doing this I seem to have changed the behaviour of the 'FREE' dive mode to match the 'FREE/GAUGE' mode of the Stinger. A test in the pool shows the computer doesn't go into error mode after 5+1 minutes as the manual says but continues on apparantly in a true Gauge mode as per the Stinger.
So have I 'unlocked' a hidden mode or not?
I'm looking forward to hearing from other mosquito owners on this.

That certainly seems plausible ... I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that the Stinger and Mosquito share IDENTICAL internals ... with the Mosquito being choked off by its programing as you suggest.
This sounds especially likely since I spent the extra $100 for a Stinger :) .

As soon as someone from Suunto reads this thread, there will be an updated version of SDM that doesn't allow this "unlocking" to occur. :) ... so what version # of SDM are you using ?

That is correct. It moves into Gauge Mode. Most divers I know who have the Mosquito all use it in Gauge mode.

Island Hopper, I'm using Dive manager 1.6 at the moment.

The way I see it, the settings command in dive manager probably just activates particular 'Switches' in the Dive computers software. My bet is the Stinger and the Mosquito are Identical hardware in different cases.

Disclaimer: I DON'T RECCOMEND ANYONE FOOL AROUND WITH THE PROGRAMMING OF THEIR DIVE COMPUTER. IF YOU DO AND HURT YOUSELF OR DAMAGE THE COMPUTER YOU ONLY HAVE YOURSELF TO BLAME.

That said, I'll continue to look into this 'feature' of the mosquito I think - the official lack of gauge mode is the one thing I don't like about the Mosquito. If I was to purchase over again I'd go the Viper mostly for the guage mode.

For those of you who only want the gauge mode anyway, the Suunto D3 is identical to the Mosquito but is just a bottom-timer with no NDL computations. It is also a little less expensive than the Mosquito. It still performs all other functions--time, depth, temp, surf interval, etc.--just no NDL limits.

theskull

dsgobie,
I'd also like to know if you've found a way to change the gauge mode sample rate from 2sec to say 10sec or 20 sec? Not crucial to me but would be nice to know for referance.

bergersau,
No I have no idea..

bergersau:
Hi all, I wonder if anyone else can confirm this behaviour from their Suunto Mosquito?
I've found that by using the Sunto dive manager software on my P.C, I can change the Mosquito's sampling rate from it's default (either 30 or 60 seconds, I'd have to look it up to be sure ) to 10 seconds. This is done by using the TRANSFER, SETTINGS menu and selecting Stinger as the dive computer to transfer the setttings to. I've found this works fine for me (Just using the Mosquito as a backup computer for the experiment).
The interesting thing is that by doing this I seem to have changed the behaviour of the 'FREE' dive mode to match the 'FREE/GAUGE' mode of the Stinger. A test in the pool shows the computer doesn't go into error mode after 5+1 minutes as the manual says but continues on apparantly in a true Gauge mode as per the Stinger.
So have I 'unlocked' a hidden mode or not?
I'm looking forward to hearing from other mosquito owners on this.
I believe all Mosquitos go into gauge mode past 5 minutes in freedive mode. The error mode occurs when you return to the surface. I also believe the error mode can be cleared by doing a short (less than 5 minute) "freedive".

Ralph

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom