US Divers Matrix computer cracking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fmerkel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've got a US Divers Matrix, one of the Pelagic "hockey puck" computers. Its probably got 400 dives on it. Low battery yesterday got me taking it out of the console and while checking/cleaning the battery compartment/seals I noticed the base of the clear housing is cracking. It appears that the whole bottom is screwed into the top clear section. There are cracks along this threaded portion in both directions. There appears to be a black band below this area (seal?) and so far no water has gotten into the unit that I know of. The battery compartment was dry and clean and it functions fine. If I hadn't looked at it carefully I wouldn't have known it was there.

Is this a known problem or just a fluke? Anyone get a replacement or upgrade for a great price from USD? I haven't contacted them yet but plan to.

My wife's Sherwood Resource (same Pelagic manufacturer) died recently. In contacting Sherwood I was told by the technician that they have a lifespan of about 400-500 dives. Hers didn't leak, it just quit working. I don't think it had cracks but since it was dead (but not flooded-although there might have been a killing tiny leak). They did an "upgrade" to a newer similar unit for a decent price but not a jumping for joy price ($175).

Fritz

fmerkel:
I've got a US Divers Matrix, one of the Pelagic "hockey puck" computers. Its probably got 400 dives on it. Low battery yesterday got me taking it out of the console and while checking/cleaning the battery compartment/seals I noticed the base of the clear housing is cracking. It appears that the whole bottom is screwed into the top clear section. There are cracks along this threaded portion in both directions. There appears to be a black band below this area (seal?) and so far no water has gotten into the unit that I know of. The battery compartment was dry and clean and it functions fine. If I hadn't looked at it carefully I wouldn't have known it was there.

Is this a known problem or just a fluke? Anyone get a replacement or upgrade for a great price from USD? I haven't contacted them yet but plan to.

My wife's Sherwood Resource (same Pelagic manufacturer) died recently. In contacting Sherwood I was told by the technician that they have a lifespan of about 400-500 dives. Hers didn't leak, it just quit working. I don't think it had cracks but since it was dead (but not flooded-although there might have been a killing tiny leak). They did an "upgrade" to a newer similar unit for a decent price but not a jumping for joy price ($175).

Fritz

A couple of years ago, my Matrix Master, the next up from the Matirx, wasn't working right. My LDS sent it back for me, but it was at least 3 years old at the time. USD said they would fix it for $70.
I told them send it back, and I went and bought another computer.
BTW: I have since carried it as a "lets see what it does" not even back up and it has been working ever since.

I figure I would be very lucky to get a straight out replacement. I have already bought it's backup expecting it to die like my wife's. The cracking was a surprise though. Your experience is in line with my expectations. OTOH $70 for a basic computer is pretty cheap. This is so old I doubt they could fix it. They'd probably replace it.

Fritz

Back
Top Bottom