Air In Compass??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chivas

Contributor
Reaction score
Last year we purchased two Cobras that included a compass. Mine, with over 90 dives is perfect but I noticed my wife's, with 30 dives, has developed a significant air bubble in the compass. I intend to return it to LDS but am wondering what would cause this to happen? Any suggestions?

This happened to mine as well. Oil must be leaking out because it has a crack somewhere. If you accidently banged it against something - maybe in your dive bag - or even during a dive if the console was dangling - it can happen quite easily. You'll probably need to replace the module as it won't be reliable like it is and the bubble will get bigger. I couldn't tell that mine was leaking until I took it out of the boot, (except for the bubble)

I've been told that unpressurized airline travel can precipitate this leakage and createa bubble. I always take my computer inside but have ignored the compass.
I have a "moderate" sized bubble but the compass has been going for years. It's had multiple unpressurized flights before I heard about that problem.

Fritz

I've had 2 Dacor compasses that developed large bubbles. The first came with my original console. The second was the replacement that the manufacturer sent. I gave up and bought a Sherwood eventually. For the record, none of them have ever been on a plane, pressurized or unpressurized. They are always used in a well protected console, so I doubt that they were banged around too hard, although that is always a possibility. Almost all the compasses I have seen appear to be nearly identical , except for the Logo, although I can't claim to have seen every brand out there. I suspect that most all of them are made by one company, with "branding" to order from the customer.

I returned it to LDS and he replaced it on the spot--No Questions Asked. He said that "it happens" and not sure why. Makes me an even bigger supporter of LDS service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom