New Dive Watch/Computer by Suunto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kleppta

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been looking at getting a Dive computer lately and came accross this new product by Suunto

http://www.suunto.com/suunto/main/p...older_id=9852723697223379&bmUID=1094846386820

Looks like a really great basic dive watch. Price from what I have been able to gather is going to be about $350.00 CAN.

So that should make it about $275.00 US.

A really great deal for a computer in a watch size if you ask me.

Kleppta

Actually, I dont think the Gekko is watch sized, it is a little larger. Sunto do make some watch sized dive computers though, the Mosquito and the stinger are the models you might want to check out

Cancun Mark is right. the Gekko is standard guage sized. The Mosquito is much closer to watch size. I know people that own both models. They are good little computers. I don't think you can go wrong with Suunto.

Suunto is a great brand, but too conservative if you ask me.
The very moment when they release to the market a model where you can set your own level of freedom/conservatism i am getting it.

wildDolphin:
The very moment when they release to the market a model where you can set your own level of freedom/conservatism i am getting it.

Which computer do you use? Just curious.. I'm using the Mosquito .. and have enjoyed it so far!

wildDolphin:

Do you have a Suunto now? You imply that they are too conservative and then add that if they allow for more user settings that you may buy one. If you don't own one and don't dive with it, how do you know how conservative they are anyway? Incidently, my Vyper does allow me to modify certain tolerances now. If you don't like the times allowed, why not just ignore them?

Note to Kleppta: The Gekko is the same size unit as a Vyper or Vytec, doing esscentially the same things, minus some features you may want. The Gekkos won't down load a dive, for instance. Your $275 price looks like an internet price. For maybe another $50, take a look at the Vyper. They do everything that the Cobra will, except AI.

what does ai stand for?

the stinger as more than one setting if i'm mistaken. one's a bit less conservative the other more. i'm not sure, need to check the manual.

very pleased with the watch/comp. i also like the 2 timezones at the same time if you dive in a foreign country/timezone regularly (it wasn't the reason i bought it, but i think that's cool).

best to have a look at all of em. then make a list of what you think useful/a must and buy the watch that fits most of the criteria. can't really go wrong with suunto.

underwater daphne:
what does ai stand for?

the stinger as more than one setting if i'm mistaken. one's a bit less conservative the other more. i'm not sure, need to check the manual.

very pleased with the watch/comp. i also like the 2 timezones at the same time if you dive in a foreign country/timezone regularly (it wasn't the reason i bought it, but i think that's cool).

best to have a look at all of em. then make a list of what you think useful/a must and buy the watch that fits most of the criteria. can't really go wrong with suunto.

AI= air integrated, like the Cobra, on a hose or the Vytec, with a transmitter. Why is a computer, whose users seem to experience a very low incidence of DCI, viewed as conservative? Seems like its doing its job. As far as the major brand competitors are concerned (Uwatec/Pelagic, etc) none have been as reliable as the Suuntos either.

ah, i keep thinking of artificial intelligence. thanks.
i have a uwatec as a backup and although it's swiss made and all, i don't think it's as user friendly as the suuntos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom