Looking to buy a new Dive computer and need some help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking to buy a new dive computer. I have an IDI Bravo 1 know and would like to upgrade. I want one that has the tank pressure in the PC and must be a console kind. I was looking at the DACOR DARWIN AIR/NITROX INTEGRATED COMPUTER, and the AERIS ATMOS AI AIR/NITROX DIVE COMPUTER. I would like it to be liberal not conservative on the dive tables. It must have a back light and compass. If you have any other ones that I should look at please feel free to reply. I an also looking for pro's and con's on these two list above and on what ever you may suggest.

Thanks,
Matt

Remember, a bad of diving is always better than a good day at work. As long as no one gets hurt while diving.

Can't speak about the models you listed but, IMHO you can't do any better than the a Suunto Vytec AI computer matched up with a Suunto SK7 compass.

Fire_medic_RescueDiver:
I am looking to buy a new dive computer. I have an IDI Bravo 1 know and would like to upgrade. I want one that has the tank pressure in the PC and must be a console kind. I was looking at the DACOR DARWIN AIR/NITROX INTEGRATED COMPUTER, and the AERIS ATMOS AI AIR/NITROX DIVE COMPUTER. I would like it to be liberal not conservative on the dive tables. It must have a back light and compass. If you have any other ones that I should look at please feel free to reply. I an also looking for pro's and con's on these two list above and on what ever you may suggest.

Thanks,
Matt

Remember, a bad of diving is always better than a good day at work. As long as no one gets hurt while diving.

I have the Aeris and love it.

Hi Matt, quick question for you. Do you know approx how old the bravo one model is? I'm testing out some used scuba gear to buy which includes the IDI Bravo One but was curious to find out about when that model first came out so I can price it accordingly. It looks like an older model so I don't want the guy to overcharge me. I think he wants to sell it for $250. I looked up the company online and they actually don't exist anymore. It was taken over by XS Scuba. Did you ever upgrade to the Aeris AI? One of the divers that I dove the Cenotes with had an Aeris AI and he absolutely loved it. He showed me some of the features and it looked like a really great model. Expensive but very nice.
Thanks!

if youre thinking about a vytek - go the extra 100 bucks and get yourself a vr-3! upgradeable by software and halfway future proofen. if you insist on the wireless transmitter look also into cochran and scubapro. while i think suunto are reliable computer, they just bug me as overly restrictive and with an eye on poss. entry level tech diving useless.
if you just want a conservative, reliable rec computer with all bells and whistles its possibly a good choice. once again, look into sp, aeris and some other stuff for the best "bang for the buck".
this days there are 100th of good computers out there, the problem is to narrow down what your diving requires now or in the near future to find the best deal for you.
several companies offer trade in programs this days - something to consider, but carefully. its not worth "throwing away" a decent computer for a 100 or 200 dollar discount.
evaluate your diving now and your plans in the near future and buy accordingly. divecomputers this days evolve nearly as fast as your computer at home, so take it easy on big spending.
another one to think about - many computers this days are on the rgbm based model - it seems fine with rec diving but causing serious issues in tech diving. if you intend to do that, stay away / find one where you can turn of the rgbm mode.

He said he wanted a liberal computer. The Suunto computers do not normally come to mind. And yes I know some of them can be modified to be a bit more liberal. Actually, I think all of them can, but that's a kludge.

Quarrior:
Can't speak about the models you listed but, IMHO you can't do any better than the a Suunto Vytec AI computer matched up with a Suunto SK7 compass.

Uwatec SmartCom would get my vote, if it has to be in a console. Or perhaps the Oceanic Plus2.

Why does it have to be in a console?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom