Oceanic Pro Plus 2 or Aeris Atmos AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tkapfer

Registered
Reaction score
I am trying to determine the dive computer to buy. I really like the readability and features of the Oceanic Pro Plus 2 as well as the Aeris Atmos AI, both with the compass and quick disconnect. Any opinions as to the better computer? I am new to diving, but would like to buy the best equipment I can. Thanks.

I can't give a comparative analysis because I've owned only one dive computer, an Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus.

However, based upon the performance and user-friendly aspects of that computer I purchased for my wife an Oceanic Datamax Pro Plu 2.

And I love my wife . . .

I would have to second that, I have owned an Oceanic DMPP for about 5 years and it has been an excellent PC. I even use it for non rec dives.

tkapfer:
I am trying to determine the dive computer to buy. I really like the readability and features of the Oceanic Pro Plus 2 as well as the Aeris Atmos AI, both with the compass and quick disconnect. Any opinions as to the better computer?

They are virtually identical - both computers are made by Pelagic Pressure Systems, a subsidiary of Oceanic (Pelagic also manufactures diving computers for Sherwood). The algorithm used is the same in both the Pro Plus 2 and the Atmos AI (modified Haldanean - quite liberal compared to the so called "RGBM" used by Suunto). My girlfriend and I have used the older Datamax Pro Plus for years and have not had any problems. I think that the slanted design of the Aeris is quite a nice ergonomic touch but you'll do fine with any one of them - you should just pick based on price and design. Both computers have large numerals and clear, easy to understand bar graph displays. Personally, I find the attached compass pretty useless as I prefer using a compass worn on my wrist.

I agree with Vie about the compass. On the wrist is much easier to use because you're not hindered by the hose.

I removed my compass from my Pro Plus and put it on a retractor because I'm old and blind and need to hold it out about 30 feet in front of me in order to be able to read it.

I see they are both priced about the same, but since I am buying all of my equipment shorthly, Oceanic is offering a $75 rebate when buying bcd, regulator and computer by the end of the year. That may sway it a little also.

i've dove the oceanic pro plus for over three years now and i would buy another ! i looked at an aeris a few years back and it felt like it was cheaply made. just my opinion.

tkapfer:
I see they are both priced about the same, but since I am buying all of my equipment shorthly, Oceanic is offering a $75 rebate when buying bcd, regulator and computer by the end of the year. That may sway it a little also.

I don't think $75 should sway you all that much into getting all their gear... unless you like all their gear. In other words, if you would prefer a Zeagle BC, or a Mares Reg, or a what ever... when putting a package together like that - whoever you are working with will give you a lot more than $75 off - so go with the gear you want - and don't just buy all one brand because of a small rebate.

phillybob:
i've dove the oceanic pro plus for over three years now and i would buy another ! i looked at an aeris a few years back and it felt like it was cheaply made. just my opinion.

Hmmmm.. same units made in the same factory... same testing, same everything except minor cosmetic differences. I also like the Aeris "footprint" of the Atmos AI at an angle.

I think what he is saying Larry is that the Aeris is small and looks fragile because of its size. On the other hand the Oceanic is as big as a bread box.
I am going with the Aeris.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom