Abysmal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not at all, their computers are awesome. They've been around and have been used in certain "extreme" diving circles for years now and have been bullet proof.

Mario, The one thing that I wasen't able to figure out from their web site was is it Air integrated because if it is I think I may choose that over the Aladin Uwatec Z O2. I called the number on their web site and talked to Chris. (its only about 20 minutes from my house.) he offered to give me a tour of the place and let me play with one of their computers for a while. I think that I might just have to take him up on the offer.

There currently is no such thing as an Air-Integrated Mixed-Gas dive computer. Your chioces are the Abysmal, the Dive Rite or the OMS computers. There's very little competition, and an even smaller market. The Uwatec computer is definitely an apple vs the oranges we've been talking about. What exactly do you intend to do with this computer?

I want it to make me toast in the morning before I go dive.. =-) But in all seriousness I want to get a computer that will allow me progress as much as possible with out switching computer systems the Abysmal supports air/nitrox/trimix. for about the same cost as the other computers that only do air/nitrox
I would rather spend as much as nessacery <sp> now than purchase a computer and find out that I want a few more features in 6-8 months. I have already planned a few dive trips this year I figure that I will get in about 50-60 total dives this summer. (I have a lot of time off)My intention is to get in to tech diving and then take a rebreather course.

Mario,

Have you dove the explorer?

Eric

If you are getting into rebreather, then you also need to look at the inspiration rebreather, and the computer designed for it (Buddy Nexus).

I think all the information is at
http://www.apvalves.com

I suspect that different re-breathers need / operate with different computers, so it is probably worth catching the re-breather experts and talking to them before you buy a computer.

If I remember, the Nexus has two modes, constant FO2 and constant P02. This is something that no other computers that I am aware of do. It is also programable for mix changing during the dive, eg high %O2 for deco stops.

(Constant FO2 is air, nitrox or semi-closed rebreather, constant PO2 is closed-circuit rebreather)

It also will (unlike almost every other computer) let you change between modes in between dives, without waiting inordinate times.

If I can stop spending money on other things I will get one of these.

Just .02

Jon T

I haven't had time to look at all the specs but that computer costs about 1/2 of the models that I have been looking at.. Which worries me a lot. 4 models that I checked out were priced out at about 1000-1450$.. this one is 450$ As far as the rebreathers go when I get that far I will probably end up with a drager they seem to be the only one really in the competative market at least in colorado.
Just a few thoughts for now.

Eric,
No I'm afraid I've never had the explorer in the water.

Regarding Rebreathers:
I strongly recommend that if you are interested in rebreathers, you check out Steam Machines they are outstanding units. They also sold like hotcakes at Dema which said alot to me... I've visited the Steam Machines manufacturing location in Southern California, and had the opportunity to meet Peter and Sharon Readey. They run an excellent facility and really know their stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom