Used Oceanic Datamax Sport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joeami

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I purchased a used Datamax sport as a backup, battery was dead, I went to a dive shop I don't normally go to, they're an auth'd Oceanic shop btw, they told me there is no user replaceable battery and Oceanic does not support it anymore since it's so old...ok, makes no sense, I took it apart today and yes, I can change out the batt and I also saw the replacement on Oceanic's website...am I crazy, or did this shop just lie to me???

thx

joeami:
Hey everyone, I purchased a used Datamax sport as a backup, battery was dead, I went to a dive shop I don't normally go to, they're an auth'd Oceanic shop btw, they told me there is no user replaceable battery and Oceanic does not support it anymore since it's so old...ok, makes no sense, I took it apart today and yes, I can change out the batt and I also saw the replacement on Oceanic's website...am I crazy, or did this shop just lie to me???

thx
yeah the shop just lied to you. i have one for my self and its a very common battery which you can get at wallmart or any place. i use mine and it works great. ill have to look at mine and tell you what battery to replace it with.

joey

files.oceanicnet.com/PDF_docs/12-1868-r01.pdf
try this out this might be able to help you. its the owners guide on your computer. go to page 45. it also says in there that if its to old you have to go through oceanic to get replacment bateries. hope this helps.

well i dont know how to post a wed site. just go to search and type in oceanic data max sport and it will give you the owners manuel.

If a LDS can change out a Battery in a Computer BUT we can't do it on our own......What makes a Battery so unique that only a LDS can do it? The workers there are only human like us.

I can see if there are warranty issues like ensuring it gets reassembled correctly and there for stays water tight. BUT what makes a computer so special to qualify for Not being user replaceable?

joeami:

thx

joeami,

The original DataMax Sport did not allow the user to replace the batteries. Oceanic subsequently came out with an improved version (New DataMax Sport) that allowed for battery replacement. It was also possible at one time to upgrade from the "original" to the "new" version.

My wife and I own 2 of these ("originals" that we had upgraded to the "new" version. Changing batteries is a snap. According to the "DataMax Sport Addendum" any of the following batteries will work:

Duracell DL 2032
Radio Shack 23-162
Maxell CR 2032
Panasonic CR 2032

As smallminnow said, these batteries are readily available just about anywhere and are quite inexpensive to boot.

Rickg

How many people bring spare Batteries with them in their "Save a Dive" Kit? Mask straps and o-rings and then maybe 6 months after you change the batteries in your computer put one of these batteries in your kit. It would prevent a loosing a dive with your computer.

When I was in Malta and the Persian Gulf diving, I had dive buddies with Computers they couldn't use because of a lack of Batteries after our first couple of dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom