First Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lplace

Reaction score
I am fixing to buy my first dive computer. I want one with Nitrox and the two I am looking at from my LDS are the Mares M1 and the Dacor Darwin. They seem to be identical, but they might not be. Does anybody have any experience with these models? Also are there any other computers that I should look at?

logan

My son has a genesis resource that he swears by. Never had any problems in 3 years and 90 dives.
I have a suunto solution alpha with 285 dives to a max depth of 182' "I just checked the History mode" but it's not nitrox, I still like to dive my tables and just use a computer as a backup. But as my son says "I'm just old and stubborn"

I use Stinger for 5 months, but my decision based on further observation and after many discussion with some Instructor and Divemaster fellow. They suggest (and I agreed) that Stinger support Nitrox up to 50%. The disadvantage is since it is not a tek dive computer, you can not switch the gas mix down there. You only can use one type of gas mix during one dive. Additionally it's better to put your computer in EAN mode, so you can change to any gas mix for the next dive, including Air which is EAN 21.
This wrist dive comp is highly recommended since the model is quite "normal" that you can wear in everyday life. The cover and bracelet comes in 3 types: Rubber, Metal and Titanium.
If you a computer geek, you can also buy a PC Interface and learn your profile in your PC. It's all worth buying ...
Happy diving from Bali ...

lplace,

Just a few questions:

Have you narrowed it down to these two?
Does your shop carry any other brands?
What is your price range?

The Dacor is made by Mares and should be the same unit. I recently looked at these when doing my research but wanted to go a different route. They should do the job just fine.

As far as other computers I would look at as many as possible to get an idea on what's out there. Then do as much research as possible and determine exactly what you want in a computer. That way you'll save money and disappointment by getting the right one for you the first time.

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom