Wrist vs Console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orangelion03

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Novice (O/W cert, AO/W next month) contemplating purchasing a computer. In class we use console mounted units, instructor uses wrist mount with analog depth gauge on a console.

So what is your preference and why?

Thanks!

Let the games begin. You are going to get as many varied responses to this one as you would if you asked which reg is better and why. It is mostly a personal preference.

I use a wrist mounted comp but it isn't AI so I also have the SPG. Why? I am not totally sold on the AI wrist mounted comp idea. Not that it is bad just not totally sure of it myself.

I prefer wrist mounted - easier to see from a swimming position (i have computer on right wrist and compass on left wrist) when holding arms together...also on ascent easier to monitor rate...

I don't like Air Integrated either. I feel that there is too much potential for loss of communications between the pressure sender and the computer. That, and the fact that when I bought my computer, the AI ones were too expensive.

My computer is in a console with my SPG. Since I have to have a hose and SPG anyway, I like having both instruments together.

Wrist mounted non AI.

I wear mine on my right wrist. Easy to see when I'm swimming. Having it on my right wrist allows me to look at it while I control my buoyancy with my left hand.

i prefer wrist mounted. i can clasp my hands in front of me and look at the
wrist display while hovering or holding position without having to reach down.

my pressure gauge (SPG) is clipped to my left d-ring, and i look at it once in a
while, more often at depth. it works fine for me.

Computer on wrist, another in console along with SPG and analog depth gauge (Don't really trust AI.) Having everything in one unit has it's points but find it much easier to look at the computer on the wrist.

No brick on a rope. Prefer the dashboard approach: Gauge right, compass left, light in the middle. I use AI for my dives, with an SPG back up.

hee hee... "let the games begin"

---
Ken

In my list of the 5 best changes I ever made (scuba diving, that is), moving computer/compass to wrists is absolutely one of them. Talk about less hassle! One side-glance tells all.

I just don't like those consoles, and would prefer to have everything on the wrist, except that I'm not inclined to pay for a wrist-mount air integrated computer (and don't think AI really adds value for me even if it were much cheaper). The SPG clipped to the waist is much less in the way and less of a nuisance than a console.

I don't think it's a big deal most of the time, but I think the console is just one more thing that has to be squared away and isn't necessary. They *are* a problem when people allow them to drag or trail along behind them.

The only problem now is that, with what my eyes are doing to me recently, I'm going to need longer arms, or a console on a 7' hose (and a stick to hold it out there) so I can read the gauges properly. Either my near-vision correction is going to have to be adjusted, or I'm going to drop my left eye contact entirely so I can read things right in front of me. This is messed up.

Back
Top Bottom