Which compass to buy: Aeris or Suunto?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTexas

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a compass and have narrowed it down to an Aeris compass or Suunto SK-7? Can anyone provide some insight on what might be the better choice between the two or if I should consider others?

I had an old sunnto and I have had two oceanics, the first oceanic lost. If I remember correctly the oceanics are the same as the aeris. I think you will do fine with either. Compasses are pretty basic. As long as you know how to use them properly you shouldn't have a problem. I know the SK7 has a little bit bigger side window. The question is whether you want to pay the difference in price for that bit of difference.

I have the SK-7. The reason I bought that one is because it still works even if you are not holding it completely level. Off the top of my head it can be held up to 30 degrees out of level and the compass ball still swings freely without sticking.

Thanks for the input. Any thoughts on whether it's better to have the compass on a wrist style mount, house mount or attached to a slate? The slate seems like a nice option but not sure about practical use. Thanks

ScubaTexas:
Thanks for the input. Any thoughts on whether it's better to have the compass on a wrist style mount, house mount or attached to a slate? The slate seems like a nice option but not sure about practical use. Thanks

SK7 on the wrist. You can then use this bungee mount:

Bungee Compass Mount

Easy on easy off, easy to read.

Regards,

Tobin

Suunto SK-7 because it still works when tilted badly. :wink:

My old suunto took a pretty bad spill and seem to be a little off, have seen the sk7 on the net. but was wondering, how tall is the profile? I wear a wrist mount so its an issue with me. if anyone has one can you fill me in?

cool_hardware52:
SK7 on the wrist. You can then use this bungee mount:

Bungee Compass Mount

Easy on easy off, easy to read.

Regards,

Tobin

Yea Tobin's stuff rocks! I haver the timer mount and I just ordered this piece of genius! Perfect compliment to an awesome compass!

ScubaTexas:
I'm looking to buy a compass and have narrowed it down to an Aeris compass or Suunto SK-7? Can anyone provide some insight on what might be the better choice between the two or if I should consider others?

I have a $600 compass on my sailboat. I'm spoiled. Once you've used a good compass you see the defects in the smaller ones

Suunto makes the best compass. I bought an Oceanic.. My old Sherwood had to be held perfectly level, the Oceanic can still work with some tilt, the Suunto does even better. But
I needed a compas that would fit inside a console and the Suunto did not fit so I got the second best one I could find. I think the Aeris is the same a Oceanic

I may be convertsing away from a console to wrist mounted computer and compass and then would buy a Suunto

To choose go to the store and see how well each one works when held not level. Spin around 180 degrees and see how long it takes to damp out and point back to North. Do the tests with nonlevel compass.

I recommend the Suunto SK-7 wrist mount. As other posters have noted, the SK-7 can read at a tilt angle of ±30°, while most other dive compasses aren't good for much more than ±15°. The SK-7 also seems to be built tougher than other compasses. I've yet to see a broken SK-7, but I've seen a lot of the more common compasses broken and/or leaking oil.

I think the wrist mount is generally a more useful location for an instrument while navigating. On my wrist, the compass is right beside my computer and I can just keep my SPG clipped off to my BCD while navigating. Of course, I have found that I'm starting to run out of "real estate" on my arm with computer, compass, and sometimes a dive slate!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom