Does anyone here use a cochran computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

domskynetlabs

Registered
Reaction score
I was presured into buying a Cochran COMMANDER when I was a newbie I dont know how good of a computer it is or if its over kill. Any input?

if you dont want it ill trade you for a genesis react pro, a pretty cool computer.

domskynetlabs:
I was presured into buying a Cochran COMMANDER when I was a newbie I dont know how good of a computer it is or if its over kill. Any input?

IMO, its not a horribly bad computer (unlike their Nemesis line).

My inclination is that you may as well just keep using it until you're not longer a Newbie and it gets long in the tooth and/or croaks. Afterall, its already taken its depreciation hit, so you may as well get some value out of it.

FWIW, since the Commander is available in a couple of different flavors (Air only, 1-nitrox, 2-nitrox, etc), the odds are pretty good (especially in light of your "overkill" comment) that you have a model that will support simple 1-blend recreational nitrox diving applications, so unless you're trying to go "too fast" (IMO) into more advanced types of diving, this should be adequate for you for the forseeable near future in terms of how much computer you need...

Probably the main thing is to recognize the lesson learned in terms of being a knowledgable consumer, and if you were dissatisfied with the "advice" (or "pressure") from whoever sold this to you, to decide if you're going to give them future business or not. All of which has nothing to do with diving specifically, unfortunately.

-hh

domskynetlabs:

Hi,

I dive a Cochran Gemini. I do not think Cochran Computers are particularly better or worse than the majority of the computers on the market today.

The Commander can be an excellent computer, some technical divers use them, lots of recreational divers use them. They seem to be rather popular for recreational divers who have some technical training and want to use the same computer for both types of dive profiles.

That being said, in my opinion, the computers do have one significant point I think you should at least be aware of. The Cochran computers are pretty darn liberal. Particularly at shallow depths, of lets say above 70 feet or so. They seem to come in line with many dive tables for square profile dives in the 80 to 90 or so foot range, and they actually get a little more conservative as you get deeper. These comparisons are some I made using air in the first dive of a series when the diver has no residual nitrogen from any previous dives. If you feel that the dives the computer would allow you to make are more liberal than you are comfortable with, the solution is rather simple. Either don't get any where close to the time limits the computer would allow you to dive, or add conservatism to the algorythm. Either method is pretty simple and you can even do both.

I have observed from reasearch that the Cochran computers either work for a long time or fail rather quickly. I personally have not had any problems in the water with mine and I feel good about it. Personally I have a redundant backup, and add conservatism to the algorythm.

Lots of other computers by other manufacturers have different options, I don't think in general that the Cochran Commander is necessarily any better or any worse, just different.

Mark Vlahos

domskynetlabs:

It's a terrible computer! PM me, and send it to me ASAP so that I can thoroughly test it out for you! :eyebrow: :wink: :eyebrow: :wink: :crafty:

Over the past three years, I have used (borrowed) several Commanders and an older Commander Nitrox with no problems—they are very tough and reliable. I used to own a Gemini but had many problems with it and ended up returning it to Cochran (to their credit, their customer service IS very good).

After having used several other brands of dive computers, I started to miss the simple and clear display of the Commander. I finally found a Cochran authorised dealer here in Bangkok and they gave me a very good deal on a (1FO2) Commander. I plan to use it as my backup.

The one thing I personally don’t like about Cochran computers is the automatic gas switching feature (which I don’t have, as my Commander is only a one mix nitrox model)—but that’s just MHO.

Forgot to add that there are some functions on Cochran computers (such as setting the time) that can only be activated/adjusted/altered using Cochran’s Analyst software.

domskynetlabs:

I have an older Cochran Commander Nitrox and love it. I have done about 300 dives on it ranging from 10' to 215', it has worked flawlessly everytime.

Just my 2 cents...

eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom