Getting my first computer - need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RoadWarrior

Contributor
Reaction score
Help please... Oceanic VT Pro or Uwatec Air Z Nitrox or Oceanic Atom? I'm having trouble deciding.

Diving 4 years. Rec only. No need for 3 gases. I like that hi-tech look you get with hoseless. You know, cool and techie. I'm willing to pay up to a grand.

Primary interest - easy to read, simple as possible. The Oceanic Atom's advantage is it doubles as a watch. The disadvantage is it's more complicated & harder to read.

I can get anyone of these (including Suunto but less intersted in this brand) from my perferred dive shop. I'm not interested in a different brand or ordering on-line.

Opinions greatly apreciated!

dj

The most basic thing you can get would be an Uwatec bottom timer. It gives your digital depth and digital dive time. That is really all you need.

The next step up would be a dive computer with a memory feature for your dive profiles. The Suunto Vyper does that extremely well, and the Suunto Mosquito does also and doubles as a watch.

There is no such thing as the tech look. If you want to dive tech then enroll in an IANTD or TDI or NAUI tech course. They will probably make you replace most of your regular gear.

Sorry TRITAN94949, I meant Techie as in technology not as in Tech diving. I want to go hoseless. My Octo is integrated into the BC so with hoseless I have 1 loose hose - the 2nd stage.

I use an Atom (and have never had a problem with the transmitter) but I ALWAYS have a backup SPG.

djanni:
Oceanic VT Pro - - Uwatec Air Z Nitrox - - Oceanic Atom

Diving 5 years. Rec only. No need for 3 gases. Want that hi-tech look of hoseless. You know cool and techie. Something up to a grand okay.

Primary interest - easy to read, simple as possible. For Atom the advantage is it doubles as a watch. The disadvantage is it's complicated.

I can any of these, including Suunto, from my perferred dive center and not interested in a different brand by ordering on-line.

dj

I have a suunto vytec and it has been my main computer for 3 years and never let me down. I have a air Z O2 and dread the day I have to change the battery $$$$

djanni:
Oceanic VT Pro - - Uwatec Air Z Nitrox - - Oceanic Atom

Diving 5 years. Rec only. No need for 3 gases. Want that hi-tech look of hoseless. You know cool and techie. Something up to a grand okay.

Primary interest - easy to read, simple as possible. For Atom the advantage is it doubles as a watch. The disadvantage is it's complicated.

I can any of these, including Suunto, from my perferred dive center and not interested in a different brand by ordering on-line.

dj

I use the Oceanic Versa Pro (wrist) and I like it. My SPG and compass are still in the old console boot for my now defunct Monitor 2. I have no desire for air integration, so I never even looked at the VT, but it's supposed to be the same except for the AI.

I couldn't care less what the fish think of my non-techie look underwater. :snorkel:

Boogie711:
And why do you think this is a good thing?

Don't know if it's good or bad but it sure looks cool. Some time's I think I should get a backup pressure gage. Hoseless, brainless, hoseless??!?

I dive with a hoseless computer and I do have a backup pressure guage on my left hip. If the air integration part takes a dump I can continue diving without skipping a beat. Plus it has the added benefit of being a dial, a nice easy way of seeing the breathing gas slowly move toward whatever pressure you will thumb the dive at.

Mark Vlahos

Want that hi-tech look of hoseless. You know cool and techie. Something up to a grand okay.

The phrase 'all the gear and no idea' springs to mind. Just get the kit that you NEED and spend the rest on actually going diving. Sure the marine life won't be too bothered that you have a cheaper computer model and any diver that does isn't worth their salt. Just my 20p.

NB: I am not actually saying that you have no idea about diving, but that is the impression that I would get from someone who buys gear just for the mammoth price tag...

Back
Top Bottom