Smart Pro vs. Vyper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abitton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
OK, I'm hesitating between both of these...

I will shortly be diving Nitrox, and am a beginner diver. I am not too worried about the "conservativeness level" of the Suunto's algorithm.

I can get either for about the same price...

Any advice? Or any other suggestons?

Thanks!!!

problem with a thread like this is you'll get the people like me who love one of these computers. I have a vyper and love it, all the info you need i right there on the screen in big letters without having to hit a button..i wouldn't change it for anything!!

mossym:
problem with a thread like this is you'll get the people like me who love one of these computers. I have a vyper and love it, all the info you need i right there on the screen in big letters without having to hit a button..i wouldn't change it for anything!!

I kind of figured that ;-)
I am looking for that argument that tips the scale!! One of my friends actually just got a Vyper... It seems like a really cool toy!!!

I have a vyper also, and I 2nd the last comment.... There is no switching screens (unless you want to check the time) during the dive.... Its the only computer I have dove with though so I cant speak for any other computers....

I would rate it 10/10 though....

I also don't know the Smart Pro but I will list some of the reasons I like my Vyper (maybe the Smart Pro has the same things but I don't know)

# Large easily readable screen
# Fairly conservative profiles with the ability to adjust to even more so
# Good computer interface and logbook (although the cable costs extra)
# User changeable battery
# Ability to use in Air/Nitrox/Gauge modes (Gauge mode being very useful for use as a bottom timer only if you ever get into more advanced diving)

My wife and I use Smart Pros and really like them. I have friends with Vypers and they look like great computers also.

Smart likes:

+ large, easy to read screen;
+ robust strap;
+ good backlight;
+ easy to change nitrox settings;
+ easy to change conservative settings;
+ great PC software to download dives;
+ IrDA interface (nice and easy);
+ can download to my Palm Pilot;
+ guage mode;
+ I like the idea of getting the factory to replace the battery - it will last for many years and dives - we'll send them after a summer of diving (probably after 8 years) and the factory will check the computer, recalibrate, replace battery and return - for free;
+ easily replaceable plastic shield for screen;
+ pretty rugged computer, that appears to be able to take the abuse of travel, diving, dropping and all the things that happen in life.

Either way you'll get a great computer.

Uwatec also now has their "hockey puck" style computers now. They look pretty cool. You can't go wrong with either one of these. Where do you plan to buy it? If it is at an LDS, find one you trust and like and buy the one they carry. It makes a world of difference if you have someone who can help you if there are any problems. If you plan to buy on the internet, try to stick with an authorized dealer or if it breaks it will bring nothing but headaches. Happy shopping, good luck.

P.S. See if you can find someone who will let you demo them. If they won't let you try it before you buy it there is probably a reason.

I just went out and ordered the Smart Pro... More to come once I open the box, and then when I dive...

Since my friend got the Vyper, I'll be able to comment on both soon, hopefully!!

Thanks for all your input!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom