Wrist mount vs console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drglnc

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I am looking into computers and am haveing a hard time chooseing between console and wrist mount. I have only been diving for a month but live on an island and plan to dive weekly for the next 3 years. For ease of use and comfort whats the best choice?

It is all personal choice. Depends on what you like.

Personally, I prefer the wrist mount. It is less clutter on my guages and as I ascend (its on my left wrist) I can hold my arm up in the protective manner yet see my ascent rate on the pc with no problems. And to throw some fuel on the fire.....I do NOT like the transmit type of computer. Too costly and IMHO not that dependable.

Some would probably hate that method but it works for me. You could get a computer like a Genesis Resource or React....or a similar Oceanic....that allows you to go both ways and see which you like.

Or...got a bud? Will he or she let you borrow their wrist mount for a couple of dives??? Try it. See if you like it.

Good luck on picking a computer.

As said - its all personal choice. I prefer a wrist mount.

I may only check my air 3-4 times during a dive, so a small air pressure gauge spends most of its time clipped to a D ring: keeping things streamlined and tangle free.

I refer to my computer every few minutes during a dive. The easiest, most accessible spot to mount it is on my forearm.

The downside of the wrist mount is that your computer can get pretty worn if you like putting you hand down holes, such as when looking for crayfish (lobster). I mount mine further up my forearm because of this. On the other hand I have watched many computer consoles being dragged over the reef for a similar effect

Another upside of a wrist mount is that you are far less likely to have a tank dropped on it during set up or packing.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Yeah I use a wrist mount for all of the reasons above. It also makes data transfer easier when you want to log your dives. If youre into free-diving you can set it to guage mode and record your max depths.

wrist was the way I was leaning, just wanted some experienced input, the ifo is great thanks a bunch.

There's a recent multi page thread on this; if you search this forum you'll find it.

I dive with two identical computers, a wrist mount and a console as backup. I look at my wrist mount about 90% of the time because it's just easier. If I had to dive with just one, it would definitely be the wrist mount.

another thing, wrist mount is easy to throw in a bag if you're travelling and not planning on diving, but end up doing it anyway, console means bringing your whole reg set

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom