HELP - Oceanic Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chforte

Registered
Reaction score
Been looking for a new computer. 1 LDS tells me the Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus should be the way to go (of course thats what they were selling) another LDS (which sells the Pro plus as well as Suunto and Aeris) pushed the Aeris 500 AI. At the 2nd LDS the owner was telling me about problems Oceanic has had with its computer chips and would be suprised if they are still around in the future. Any info or input on this?

PS. the Aeris 500 AI and the Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus appear to look alike

I've been using Oceanic computers since I got certified. The only one I had problems with was the hoseless Data Tran Plus which kept losing the signals.

I currently use the DMPP and have never regretted the purchase after 350+ dives on it. I haven't heard anything about bad chips in them. I also use a Data 100 for backup.

From my understanding, the same company makes both the Oceanic and Aeris computers and they use the same algoritum. The DMPP is considered to be a liberal computer whereas the Suunto is more conservative. Beast has a Suunto Vyper and we've been able to compare the Oceanic and Suunto to each other.

My vote is for the DMPP. Surprized? :) I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Oceanic. I don't have any personal knowledge of the Aeris computers.

By the way.....Welcome to the Board!

Oceanic and Aeris computers are both made by Pelagic. I have a DMPP, and have heard of no chip problems with any Oceanics. In fact, from divers on this board, Oceanic sounds like the best company to deal with, if you DO have a problem. Just search some of the past threads, and you'll hear stories of how Oceanic replaced computers even though the warranty had expired, and in at least one case, replaced a damaged computer with TWO new ones.
I love my DMPP, but it's a matter of personal preference. I looked at the 500AI. A nice thing about it; it displays no-deco time and air time remaining simultaneously. With the DMPP, it only displays the lesser of the two. What I consider a drawback of the 500AI, though, is that it doesn't show exactly what your PSI is, without pushing a button. The bar graph gives you a pretty good estimate, but I decided I wanted the exact pressure displayed.
Suunto makes great computers, too. I don't remember ever hearing anything bad about them, and my buddy has a Cobra. It would be hard to go wrong with any of the computers you're looking at. Personal preference should be the deciding factor, IMO.

P.S. Whatever one you end up with, get the quick disconnect. You'll never regret it.

Thank you both for your replies. I shall check the threads for feedback on the DMPP. I do like the features on it. Thanx for the welcome Dee

I have a Data Plus and a Data 100...THE Data 100 that was replaced way out of warrenty, no questions ask. I like mine, both are easy to read and use and the ONE TIME I had trouble with one, Oceanic gave me great customer service. If they are having trouble, I have not heard about it and I bet if there are problems, someone on this board knows about it.

I work in one of the largest dive retailers in the caribbean, we sell both Oceanic and Suunto. plus various others.

We see alot less problems with the suunto than oceanic or "pelagic" series. Oceanic (pelagic) will be making computers for a while to come, they are all over the place! But personally, after mine died, and my wife went through three of them.... i'll go with another brand, although they were covered under warranty, the problems got tiring.

I am diving with a Suunto Stinger and a Dive Rite Nitek, both work great! just waiting a while before ordering a Suunto Vytec!

(like i need another computer...... hehehe)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom