Suunto D9 vs. Uwatec SmartTEC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheAce

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi everybody,

I am about to purchase one of the above mentioned computers. Of course, both of them have pros and cons but I think I am going to buy the SmartTEC. I have had the SmartCOM for some time now and am pretty pleased with it as well with its algorithm. Even though I always do deep stops myself at mid depth ( {max depth + next stop depth} /2 ) for approximately one minute and it would be nice to have it already implemented in the algorithm like the RGBM the D9 has, but, as I said, I think I am going to go for the SmartTEC.

What do you guys think? Good choice?

And, if anyone can help me, what is the price for the SmartTEC in your country or on the net? I just want to check that I am getting a fair price here in Israel.

Oh.. and if someone is interested, my SmartCOM is for sale... :)

Thanks!

I don't belive SmartTec is available on the internet in U.S. Only place I can see is diveinn.com. They list the price, $ 992.95. Its MSRP in US is $1300, so you can get 10% off from that price with the warranty here.

How about the price over there?

TheAce:
Hi everybody,

I am about to purchase one of the above mentioned computers. Of course, both of them have pros and cons but I think I am going to buy the SmartTEC. I have had the SmartCOM for some time now and am pretty pleased with it as well with its algorithm. Even though I always do deep stops myself at mid depth ( {max depth + next stop depth} /2 ) for approximately one minute and it would be nice to have it already implemented in the algorithm like the RGBM the D9 has, but, as I said, I think I am going to go for the SmartTEC.

What do you guys think? Good choice?

And, if anyone can help me, what is the price for the SmartTEC in your country or on the net? I just want to check that I am getting a fair price here in Israel.

Oh.. and if someone is interested, my SmartCOM is for sale... :)

Thanks!

hoosier:
I don't belive SmartTec is available on the internet in U.S. Only place I can see is diveinn.com. They list the price, $ 992.95. Its MSRP in US is $1300, so you can get 10% off from that price with the warranty here.

The deal (yeah... right, "deal") I am getting from the local importer of ScubaPro/Uwatec here in Israel is US$1150 + my SmartCOM traded in. So now I am sure I am getting a bad deal. Hmm.. need to figure out what to do...

If you have to trade your SmartCom with that price, you had better get it from Diveinn.com. And, you trade in the SmartTec when you need the new one in future.

hoosier:
If you have to trade your SmartCom with that price, you had better get it from Diveinn.com. And, you trade in the SmartTec when you need the new one in future.

Do you think the SmartTEC is a good choice? BTW, I can get the D9 here in Israel for 920 US$ and the transmitter for additional 480 US$. Total of 1400 US$ which I think is a VERY fair price.. The problem is that the Uwatec distributor here in Israel has a VERY known VERY healthy appetite... :wink:

Depending on your preference, I got D9 because of the size and digital compass function.
But, after buying this, I realized that it can't be used with three transmitters in underwater. It is a big cons to me at this moment. So, it is your call.... What is your priority?

TheAce:
Do you think the SmartTEC is a good choice? BTW, I can get the D9 here in Israel for 920 US$ and the transmitter for additional 480 US$. Total of 1400 US$ which I think is a VERY fair price.. The problem is that the Uwatec distributor here in Israel has a VERY known VERY healthy appetite... :wink:

hoosier:
Depending on your preference, I got D9 because of the size and digital compass function.
But, after buying this, I realized that it can't be used with three transmitters in underwater. It is a big cons to me at this moment. So, it is your call.... What is your priority?

Huh?! You mean it can work with only one transmitter? Meaning that the other two mixes will not have wireless monitoring? That is kind of stupid, no? How is the digital compass? Is it really that good or just a nice gadget/gimmick? What I really like about the D9 is the deep stops I ALWAYS implement.

My priority? Hard to say. I am VERY pleased with my SmartCOM. I just had it with the console layout and I want to move for a long time now to the wrist layout and I don't want to give up Air Integration... so I guess these two models (and maybe the ATOM too) are the "latest" out on the market. This summer I plan to go Tech (finally) so the gas switching will be very usefull..

By the way, now that I am moving to a wireless setup, would you add a SPG as backup or maybe a SPG+Depth Gauge? Or there is no real need?

hoosier:

I am currently also looking to purchase the the smartec. Has anyone heard any feedback on the download program and general pros or cons of theis unit. Thanks
Dave

I've got two questions for a Smart Tec owner or dealer:

1. Is the new Smart tec sender interchangeable with Uwatec's previous, (Air Z & O2), senders? I've got two of them and would like to keep using them along with the new Smart Tec.

2. Does the new Smart Tec's algorithm, in it's most liberal setting, provide the same no-deco & deco times as the previous Uwatec non-user adjustable algorithm, when dove side by side?

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom