air z nitrox or atom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbear295

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a dive computer. I would like to go with something hoseless. I have been looking at the scubapro AIR Z Nitrox and the oceanic atom. any input on these or any other hoseless computers would be helpfull thanks.

They are not really that comaparable - the SmartTek would be the UWATEC model that is comparable with the Atom, as they can both use up to three wireless transmitters. I use the Atom (it is somewhat complicated at first, but Oceanic computers generally are quite intuitive to use) and have had some problems (there are a few Atom thread on this board). I only have a limited experience with UWATEC computers (Aladin and Pro Ultra), but they seem quite easy to use.

UWATEC computers utilize a more conservative Buhlmann algorithm than Oceanic's Haldanean.

I have an atom and after one dive where I lost the link, I have not had any problems with it. Sometimes the software can be a little strange(oceanLog), but I am really happy with it. I found that my link to the transmitter was happening because of the electronics in the LED light that I was holding in the same hand. I switched hands, no more lost link or any other problems.

There shouldn’t be any problem with the Atom if it has the r2F (or later) firmware. My first Atom was an r2C and it went crazy and failed during a safety stop. My (also r2C) replacement had a battery drain problem which many people experienced (r2F Atoms are now shipped in “sleep” mode). Am now on my third Atom (an r2F).

I have never had any transmitter problem with any of my Atoms. I agree that OceanLog is “a little strange.”

So far, I'm happy with my atom. I have not (knock on wood) had any problems with it. I did notice that on my first night dive recently, it's a PITA to get all of the info that I need while holding a light and flag and still trying to turn the backlight on. Other than that, was no problem.

Back
Top Bottom