air integrated computer or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laudrup

New
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Anyone could pls help me on taking a decision of what comp should I buy pls? money is not the main problem, but I just don't wanna pay $1000 for a brand new comp with lots of functions that I'll never use, if you know what I mean...
Basically, I'm considering buying a computer for my girlfriend and another one for me, which makes much more sense if we choose iar integrated functions. If not, with just one comp is enough?
We just started diving last summer and had just some 10-15 dives on board so far and I prefer watch style looking comp rather than bigger ones.
I've been considering to buy an air integrated comp, but I'm still wondering if it's worth for new divers like us. I liked the brand new D9 of suunto or vytec.
However, if I decide not to buy any air integrated comp, I was considering both stinger and mosquito from suunto as well. I like stinger pretty much, but find mosquito much better in terms of value given its lower price.
My main point is that I don't wanna get stuck with a comp in 2 years time and start looking for a new one with the options I'm missing on the one I'll buy now.

any help much appreciated!

With little experience I cannot make recommendations. If I read one question right; all info directs not to share computer.
I chose AI with higher level capability than I’m suspecting I’ll use, but for some advantages I preferred over similar types and lower price (softwear).
I will suggest searches and lot of reading, many opinions and much experience here.

We all have our preferences, but I favor an air intergrated computer.
It's a given that I plan my dives, but with an air intergrated computer you can get an output that tells you approximately how many minutes of gas you have breathing at a given rate. This can be of some importance when doing strenuous activities under water.

Well I'm newer to diving than you and I'll just relay this experience to you. I bought Suunto Cobra air integrated computers for myself and my fiancee. She was certified but had not dove in 15 years and I had to finish my last two OW dives. We went to St Thomas and were getting her a refresher and finishing my 2 dives. We got in the water and everything was fine. My computer reading showed I started with 2980 but once at depth I looked at my computer and it was reading 1800 psi after just a few minutes, I signaled up and told the instructor. He and my fiancee were still at around 2890. He said there was no way I could have used that much air. After a minute it was back up again so we continued and went back under. Looked a minute later and was back down but this time even further it was down to about 600 this time. We surfaced again and he said there was a problem with my computer. He and the fiancee were still at almost 2800. He was a retired search and recovery diver for the New York police department and he assured me the problem was with the computer and that I had plenty of air left, so he kept us in shallow water and and made sure my buddy stayed close and had me do some skills so it wasn't a totally wasted dive. But basically he said hes had all the new computers over the years but has come to the conclusion that even thought they are nice, the one thing that is life and death is air and he does not trust it to a battery. He now uses only non air integrated computers. So I bought a separate SPG for back up. Turns out after checking the computer out and talking to the factory that there was no problem with the computer. The problem was either Stupidity on my part and my buddy OR a faulty valve on the tank. I'd prefer to think valve problem. Either the valve was not turned on all the way or was old and defective. Once I got back to Ohio and bought a separate SPG and had the regular analog gauge and the computer hooked up we put it on a tank and only opened the valve 1/4 to 1/2 open. When I breathed thru it the needle on the analog guage would move up and down instantly and show the true air pressure. The computer though seemed as if it could not catch up as quick and the pressure reading just kept dropping as I breathed until it went down to 500 psi. As soon as I would stop breathing the pressure would catch up and return to normal. When the valve was opened completely no problem at all. SO either the valve was defective OR even though I specifically remember turning it all the way on and then back a hair, maybe it got turned again somehow. I admit it was out of my sight for a few minutes after we hooked everything up while we finished paperwork. I re-checked all the regs and purge but do not think I rechecked the valve. Either way as the instructor said with a regular submersible pressure gauge this would not have happened as you would have seen the needle moving and would have known what the problem was. But I like toys so I'm keeping my cobra but now have a back up to check. I'll at least keep it on till I feel confident the Cobra is working normally and may keep it permanent if the hose routing does not bother me.
David

my preference would be for a cheap, functionable, simple computer.
also, i don't like the bulk of a console, so wrist-mount is a must.
i also need a nitrox computer.

i use the Aeris Atmos 2. does all i need, and comes in at under $300

i see air integration as an unecessary feature, for the price.
when/if they come down in price, i'd think about it.

I bought a Suunto Vyper right after I certified - after all, I just "knew" I was gonna "need" the nitrox feature... I'm glad I just happened to buy a computer that has a guage mode.... Once I actually learned to dive, I found guage mode and running my own profiles ends up leaving me feeling a whole lot better after multi days of multi dives than following the computer's "NDL" profile. I like that it doesn't beep at me. I also like that I can download the dives onto a PC since that's how I log my dives.

I got Jaye and I Vytecs. I love em. Hundreds of dives on mine, and its never lost contact with the transmitter like my Oceanic Data Transbrick used to.

Its performed perfectly as an AI Nitrox on multi day dive trips, and as a gauge on my 2 - 3 dive one-day trips. Its one of the best investments we've made. Easy to use, easy to read, versatile, tough, reliable.

eBay, of course... :wink:

---
Ken

You only need to turn the valve off enough that its not fully seated open. Its not necessary to go a 1/4 or 1/2 turn, depending on the valve. Its a "feel" thing thats hard to explain, but 1/4 may be way too much on one valve and not enough on another. Just back it off enough so it no longer "grabs".

Anyway, glad you got it figured out. :)

Mo2vation:
... and its never lost contact with the transmitter like my Oceanic Data Transbrick used to.

Gotta agree on the Oceanic Trans losing contact. Happens all the time to me. Hardly a dive goes by that it doesn't lose contact at least once...

I've never seen a good reason personally to invest in an air-integrated computer. Lots of other "toys" I see out there I'd rather buy first (your mileage and that of others will certainly vary, but then most of you are not "starving" marine biologists). I'm quite happy with the simple (but very reliable) one on my wrist. Of course I have enough diving experience to be fairly good at estimating my remaining air time, and dive with an HP 120 for extra measure.

Back
Top Bottom