Before I buy an AI computer...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1divadiver

Reaction score
still in the middle of nowhere, but closer to L. O
Morning Scubaboard! I want to give thanks for the threads on this site as it has helped in my decision to go AI when I buy. The only AI computer I am aware of is the Cobra by Suunto. I want to go console instead of wrist...used a wrist at DUI DOG days, and decided that I definetly like the console better...get to see everything at once! So before I shell out $700, is there other AI console computers that I should be looking at? Please give me lots of opinions!!! Thanks! :60:

The smart com by Uwatec is air intergrated

I own both, like both, the smart com is a little easier to use and I like the software much more.

Oceanic Pro Plus 2—I’ve used both the older Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus and the Suunto Cobra and I have to say that the Oceanic has a much better designed display and is very intuitive. The Cobra is also a good computer and is very compact.

http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/p_computers_proplus.htm

IMHO, don’t bother with the compass option. The compass is much easier to use when it is on your wrist.

The Aeris Atmos Ai, Oceanic Pro Plus 2 and Sherwood Wisdom are very similar internally—they are all made by the same company, Pelagic Pressure Systems.

I have the SmartCom and like it very much. Easy to see all the information, and the software is pretty good (as far as dive log software goes).

I owned a Oceanic Pro Plus 2 for about a year and a half. I decided to dump it for something more modern (modern deco theory with MB supression) and got a Uwatec Smart COM.

It's an awesome computer, and I'm very happy with it. The PP2 was nice, but I'd get the Uwatec if you in the market. I was did look at the Suunto computers, but after lots of research I read too many articles saying the RGBM algorithm it uses is way too conservative. I didn't want to go from the Oceanic which uses the oldest and most liberal algorithm out there to the most conservative. I read too many articles were Cobra owners where on vacation with other computer divers and their computer was always warning them to go up when nobody elses computers were bothering them. These same people ended up people their computers in gauge mode the rest of the trip so they could dive with the others. That to me, doesn't make much sense.

The Uwatec in the Rolex of computers, IMO (they are swiss made too, just like Rolex). :))

AI... Artificial Intelligence? Is that a computer you train to recognize your dive profiles, so it adjusts your decompression times accordingly? :)

Yes, I know AI here means Air Integrated... just could not resist.

Before I bought my second computer, it was down to Suunto Cobra and the Oceanic Pro Plus2. I went with the former, because its a more conservative computer. All the consoles mentioned above are fine and you cant go wrong with either of them. However, you may want to look into the algo each uses. Whether you want a more conservative computer (less bottom time) or more liberal (more bottom time). Now, if you decide to get the Cobra, checkout http://www.divetank.net. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom