anyone used a flat compass for Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
my dive slate has a nifty little pocket that could easily fit a Silva compass,
such as this one, for example:

http://www.thecompassstore.com/explorer.html

before wasting the money in an experiment, has anyone ever tried to use this
type of compass for scuba?

did it work ok?

I've tried it. It's *much* harder to get the thing level enough to work underwater than it is on the surface.

Get a real compass, I just ordered an SK7 from LeisurePro for $60.

jonnythan:
Get a real compass, I just ordered an SK7 from LeisurePro for $60.

yeah, i had an SK7, but i find it way too bulky for me...

The problem with the flat compass is that it binds when only a little out of level.

I have used a flat hiking compass to navigate a sailboat doing both the main steering and taking bearings on landmarks. It was not easy but was doable.

I think the same would be true diving. The better your trim and bouyancy control the easier it will be. Also in calm water it should be easy, in strong surge it might not work well at all.

I say take it along and try it out.
If nothing else it can make a good backup.

H2Andy:
my dive slate has a nifty little pocket that could easily fit a Silva compass,
The Silva doesn’t appear to be oil-filled. What would happen at depth? Wouldn't it crush? or fill with water? or . . . ?

Andy,
I've used one at depth. It's not too difficult once you get a grip on how to keep it level, which isn't that big of a deal. You just sort of pivot your wrist like a gimbel and note when the needle won't move.

I used a Silva orienteering compass for my DM mapping project, it was accurate along the bearing lines.

But for regular use, I prefer my SK-7

Dom

I've used some flat, oil filled, compasses at depth and they worked fine. But the Silva compass I have on a small sailboat as a backup looks pretty bad as the wire spring that fits in the slot of the rotating compass module rusts. Still functional, but a bit hard to turn the bezel. If you do use one for scuba be sure to thoroughly rinse it out.

Back
Top Bottom