Free PC Log Book from Apeks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know what anyone else is experiencing, but I was a sucker and tried to install it.

It still asked for a name, company, and serial number. Regardless of what I put in, the installation fails due to a 'wrong ID'

Looks like free isn't really free to me.

kc0czi:
I don't know what anyone else is experiencing, but I was a sucker and tried to install it.

It still asked for a name, company, and serial number. Regardless of what I put in, the installation fails due to a 'wrong ID'

Serial numbers are on page 7 of the included manual (pdf file included in the zip file) it appears to be the same logbook available on the TUSA site, kind of awkward to use but it is free. If you have an Apeks computer be sure to use the proper serial number for the model. With my IQ-700 I apparently installed with the wron serial number and had to uninstall, clean the regestry of all references to TUSA and reinstall to get the interface to work. Thanks to Larry at ScubaToys for the help and a number to call at TUSA even though they weren't a lot of help with the new interfacel.

Mike

kc0czi:

If you read the installation manual, it provides the information you need to activate the program.

It's a bit buggy, but it works pretty well. I download all of my dives with it and I also like to use the simulator for planning.

uberspeed:
Page 7 of the included pdf manual:

(3) Enter user information
Enter a username, company name, and serial number.
Enter the serial number as follows, then select Next.
In case Dive Computer is PULSE
DT33-6399-3775
In case Dive Computer is QUANTUM
DQ53-6399-3775

Well - I have neither. I have the Suunto Cobra - so I guess it's only free if you have either of those two computers. No biggie.

I sure wish the equipment manufacturers could come up with a unified, standardized output format so that PC software would work with more than just a few units. Then... some enterprising folks could write some very nice open-source or GNU stuff.

kc0czi:
Well - I have neither. I have the Suunto Cobra - so I guess it's only free if you have either of those two computers. No biggie.

I sure wish the equipment manufacturers could come up with a unified, standardized output format so that PC software would work with more than just a few units. Then... some enterprising folks could write some very nice open-source or GNU stuff.

The thing still works for manual entry, just not with your computer. There is a pretty nice commercial product called SharkPoint which has the ability to sync with a PocketPC or Palm. The url is http://www.dreamdives.com .

Mike

kc0czi:

Its not open source (i.e not free), but if you have WinXP or Win2K then check out ScuBase Dive Log. You'd still have to use SDM to download from your computer, but then Scubase can import selectively from there.

Using a Seiko (Apeks, TUSA, etc.) software package designed for download of dive info for those brands of dive computers as a dive log software package for a Suunto computer is kind of like using Apple / MAC software to manually enter information generated by software installed and running on another PC, IBM format based.

Suunto computers do have their own download software package available - and there's all sorts of info on this board about that and the hardware interface. A search on such should turn up multiple hits.

mholmes:
...pretty nice commercial product called SharkPoint which has the ability to sync with a PocketPC or Palm. The url is http://www.dreamdives.com .
I downloaded it, and read THIS tidbit:
On the request of the PADI World Wide legal department DreamDives is forced to remove any PADI name and PADI material from the DreamDives site and SharkPoint software product family within 10 days. Based on this information DreamDives can no longer support any PADI related event, question or problem which is linked to the PADI recreational dive planner or other related PADI issues within the SharkPoint software.

Although we respect the legal copyrights of the PADI organization, we at DreamDives do think the PADI scuba community isn't served with this strict use of legal rights by PADI. We do know that PADI wants to protect there own digital logbook product profits to restrict and disable third party logbook initiatives (like SharkPoint or the RUIZLOG) the use of the PADI recreational dive planner. We do think PADI should, as an organisation which serves a particular scuba community, control but encourage such third party scuba initiatives. This in order to serve their PADI scuba community by giving scuba divers a choice which digital logbook they can and want to use.

DreamDives tried to contact PADI in order to enable to use of the recreational dive planner within SharkPoint, but PADI don't want to talk about it. Even not after we proposed the use of the recreational dive planner by charging PADI certificated SharkPoint users additional costs when using the PADI recreational dive planner. The conclusion is that DreamDives is forced to remove any PADI recreational dive planner material from SharkPoint. This is of course a big disappointment for us, but we think more for you as an PADI certified diver who wants to use or already uses the SharkPoint logbook.
Anybody have any additional info on this? The newsitem was pretty old (April 23rd 2003), so things may have changed since...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom