Wet Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rods

Reaction score
I'm going to be in Florida (Sarasota) the first week in October and I'm planning on getting a couple of dives in. I have a 6.5mm wet suit and wondering if I should look at getting a thinner one. Any suggestions?

Also, if anyone has any suggestions as far as a place to dive that would be great. I'm a beginner and this will be my first saltwater dive.

-Rod

rods,

This is really going to depend on your personal comfort level. I know myself personally would probably not wear a suit at all if the waters are still warm, but this may not hold true for you.

One thing I do find that works well is I also have a polar tech which I will sometimes only wear this since it acts like a 1-2mm suit, it just adds that little extra that I may sometimes need.

=-)

Well... I really don't get cold very easy, I bought a heavier wet suit to dive around here (it's easier to cool off than warm up). But I don't know what the water temp will be like down there (Coming from the land of stone quarries).

-Rod

Rods,
I'm in Pensacola and the water is still warm during that month. I'm afraid that the wetsuit that you have will just overheat you. I dive with a 3/2 wetsuit around that time of the year and sometime during the summer months because of the jellyfish, it seems to be the best all around wetsuit down here. I would invest in a thinner suit and have a hood handy just in case the water is cooler than expected.

I just moved here (southern Florida) from Seattle, and that suit is perfect for Puget Sound where the water temp is 45-55. I haven't spent a winter here yet, but they tell me it gets "damn chilly". "Damn chilly" to them is 76F. So, I would conclude you're suit would be too thick.

Of course, it's always better to be too warm than too cold. What's that expression "you can always take it off, but you can't put it on if you don't have it".

However, you can expect water temps to be in the low 80's. That says to me that for most folks a 3/2 is on the high side, but OK. I personally like a Henderson Microprene (very thin like a skin, but about 2.5 mils warmth). It also works great for cold water as a skin under a heavier suit for those "really cold days" when you need just a bit more.

I wouldn't be surprised that you find some folks using only a swim suit. Too little for me, but OK for some.

Just MHO.

DSAO

rods,

Another thing you may think about is are you diving in a 2 piece (farmer john) or a single?

Depending on where you get cold you may just wear half of a Farmer john or do what I did and wear a vest and pick up a pair of wetsuit shorts which you can find at almost any surf shop.

=-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom