First Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spright

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going down to my "local" dive store (2 hours away:)) to get my fins and that should finish up my gear buying (for a little while, anyways!). I've been looking through the dive magazines for ideas on my first saltwater dive. I'll be going with a nondiver who snorkels so there needs to be something interesting for them to do. Someplace that you don't need to go too deep to see some interesting stuff would be nice, and nothing terribly far away (I'll go to the Red Sea one of these days *s*). I was looking at the Caymans or Dominica. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance:wink:
-Elizabeth

Spright

You can't go wrong with Cozumel, the diving is great :thumb:, the :goofy:night life is also great :goofy:, viz is superb :thumb: & there is plenty of snorkling activities in shallow water :thumb:. You can't go wrong here, also the price is fairly inexpensive. Hope this helps.

Hey Spright,

Since it seems you are willing to travel a little ways for this vacation, I thought I would throw my 2 cents in. I have been researching my next vacation and the Bahamas seems to be a pretty decent dive area for both divers and snorkelers alike. There are a few wrecks that are in 15-20 feet of water that anyone with a swimsuit can check out including a couple of light airplanes. (If you wait to go until the end of December, I'll even be your dive buddy...thats when I'll be going.)

Happy Diving!
Drizz

Hi Spright,

My favorite place is Bonaire, kind of a pain getting there sometimes but the diving is great. It is almost always rated as one of the best dive locations in the world as well as one of the best novice diver locations as well. You can do boat diving if you want but we do almost all shore diving. The diving is easy and there a lot of sites that you can snorkle as well as dive. The fish life is unbelievable. Dives can be anywhere from a few feet deep to over 100 ft. Try looking at this web site, http://www.buddydive.com ,we stayed there in July and will most likely be back next summer (need a guide??). I also like Freeport Bahamas and last but not least, don't forget about the Florida Keys. I don't know where you are located but, airfare is sometimes fairly cheap to Mimai and it only takes 2 hours to drive the rest of the way. I can give you the name of a dive operation and motel in the upper keys. Email me if you would like more details.

Go to the Florida Keys.

Key West and Key Largo both are great for snorklers and divers. The typical reef dive is quite shallow...not because of the skills of the participants, but rather the nature of the sites.

Most dive sites are in 20' to 30' of water for divers, but the reef fingers generally reach to about 10' of the surface at the top. Many operations cater to both divers and snorklers...divers drop down into the tide channels and work up and back the fingers, and snorklers swim over 50' - 100' to the reef tops, and work back until it's too deep to be fun and then go back shallower.

In my opinion, the best of both worlds...assuming you need to accomodate both worlds. Personnaly, I'd rather be dropping down with a tank...but I understand the accomodation you're trying to make.

Trust me...I've been to Bonaire and Coz...and I still recommend the Keys for you're circumstance.

DSAO, and always have fun.

hey! don't forget about cold, murky, current wracked Southern California!!! There are places here that aren't that bad (jes' climbed outa Redondo Canyon earlier this evening: no current, low 70's)! Especially this time o' year! You didn't mention which part of the country you are located in! If you're west of the Rockies think BAJA!!!!, airfare to Cabo, LaPaz and Loretto might be an inexpensive option , although the time of year can be tricky in the Sea of Cortez.

Heya Mike,

Lets not forget Catalina island! There is diving and snorkeling year round .... something for everyone!

=-)

Good Gawd!!!! I musta been poleaxed!!! maybe its delayed subclinical DCS in the brain. Catalina has at least two things going for it, 1) the front has some places that are nice, shallow and sheltered from currents and 2) the vis tends to be pretty darn good this time of year.

Of course, i'll be there on midnight, Sept 30th for opening nanosecond of BUG SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Mike,

I agree with Herman. Bonaire is the place to go.

...and to anyone who is wondering or going to comment. YES, I KNOW ALREADY! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom