HI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive2Live

Reaction score
HI! I'm interested in meeting other women who Scuba! I've been diving for about 2 years and since I can't go to Blue Water all the time I do enjoy diving in the local lakes in Texas. I've finished my Divemaster course and am ready to take on more. Would enjoy hearing from others!

Thanks!

Hi Dive2Live,

Welcome to the board! I am in San Diego and don't get out Texas way too often, but if you are ever in SD, let me know and maybe we can hook up for a little dive time.

In the meantime, it's good to have another woman diver on the board. If you need anything, just let me know.

Cheers,

Thanks for the invite! If I'm every in SD I'll let you know. My boyfriend wants to do some Great White diving ... I might sit on the boat for that one!

Hi Dive2Live,

I think I would too. There is not a whole lot out there that bothers me, but the thought of a 12 foot shark with big nasty teeth whipped into a frenzy by blood and fish oil, definitely makes me think twice!

We can just sit on the beach and be bathing beauties while the guys risk life and limb. hehe.

Cheers,

Dear LadyDiver

So is the water in SD really cold this time of year? I haven't been cold water diving yet but would love to go to Alaska to dive with whales and killer whales!

Hi Dive,

Well, that depends on what you consider cold. Right now, the water is 64 degrees. I get cold after about 15 minutes at 70 degrees. My husband says I am a wimp. When he got certified, they were chipping ice to get in the water. Needless to say, I don't usually do a whole lot of diving during the winter, but lots of people go out every weekend. I do know quite a few people who use dry or semi-dry suits here all year long.

It all in the perspective.

I would love to dive with the killer whales, but unless they come up with something that will keep you really, really warm, I don't think I will be doing any artic diving.

They say the colder the water the better the vis but I wouldn't know.

If you ever do get to do any artic diving, let me know, I would love to hear about it.

Cheers,

Hi LadyDiver

Usually when I go diving I wear my 3mm shorty & my 3mm Full. That why I don't get cold too fast. I usually end up getting cold after 2 dives if I only wear my full. I haven't tried a dry suit yet but my b/f has one. He is an Instructor. I just finised my Divemaster so it has been fun helping others learn how to Scuba for the 1st time. I don't mind diving the local lakes. Like I said before, I can't get to blue water every weekend.

Thanks!

Hi Dive,
I have a quick question. What were all the steps required to reach the Dive Master level?
My family and i just returned from a week on Cayman Brac and Grand Cayman. Needless to say I am addicted to the underworld[:]).
Thanks
nauifins73

I live in Texas, too, and we usually make a New Year's Day Dive. The temperature is usually in the high 50's out of the water and in the low 60's in the water, so for a while the water feels pretty good. But that doesn't last very long and then we're out and looking for a warm fire and dry clothes.
But we normally don't start diving regularly in until early April and the water is usually pretty cold then too. I wear 3/5 with a polartek underneath, and always a partial hood(not a full hood), gloves, and 5mil boots. I can usually make a pretty good dive as long as I stay moving.

Hi nauifins73

To answer your question ... First you have to achieve Advanced Open Water, then Medic First Aid, and then Rescue Diver. After you have completed that then you can start on your DM ... it involves classes, numerous difficult written tests, and very long and hard timed swims as well as working as an instructor asst. for 3 full open water classes. You also have to have 60 logged open water dives by the completion of the DM. Last but not least a physical exam.

It's all worth it once you see the excitement on new open water divers.

Anymore questions just let me know. And thanks for asking!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom