Getting the right BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sirena

Reaction score
i just recently got certified and i'm currently in the process of getting my equipment, which is quite exciting! i'm planning on getting the zeagle ranger bc with octo, but i'm wondering if i'll regret getting a bc without any weight pockets in the back. any thoughts?!

The Ranger is an excellent choise in my opinion. About to purchase one myself as soon as the Mrs. authorizes it!! Anyway, the weight thing is no big deal. If you need some weight on the back of the BC, maybe to offset the effects of back-inflation pushing your face foward, Zeagle sells an optional Trim Weight Pouch (Zeagle part# 8050S) that has a 6lb capacity and is mounted on one of the tank bands. They also sell Tank Mount Weight System (part# 8050) that has a 40lb capacity. It's used mainly to address the issue of not dropping all your weights at once, which is the way their Rip Cord system works. But some people use them to simply spread the weight around more to improve balance.

Sirena,

IMHO you have made a good decision, I currently use the "RANGER" & frankly never have thought about putting weights on the back. Usually on the surface, I just stick my legs in front of me & gently kick, this keeps me upright.
Once you get use to back inflation, it's not a problem. Also sometimes I just lean back & float on my back & kick. Really relaxing that way.

But of course you will diffetent opinions.

This is just MHO. Been diving with it for 2 years now. Love it.

The Ranger is a nice BC, and I highly recommend back inflation style BC's. They are definitely more comfortable in the water. On the surface however, it's best to use weights to counter balance the tendency of the BC to want to push you forward. If you haven't purchased the BC yet, take a look into other BC's that have a hard back, as opposed to the soft. The hard BC's are more forgiving on your back, and give you a more 'one' feeling with your gear. Soft backed BC's can allow the cylinder to 'flop' while diving which can be very annoying. Take a look at SeaQuest's Balance and Black Diamond models.

You should be happy with it. The first one I ever saw, a transplanted cave diver from Kentucky moved down here to Texas and we were diving. He showed me his Ranger which looked like it had made one thousand or so dives. There was one seam that needed re sewing, and there were a couple of tattered places, but overall, it was in great shape. He said the company would fix it up, but he couldn't bear to be away from it, and therefore wouldn't send it back to the factory. Now that's dedication

You should be happy with this BC. It's what I call a serious BC.

Enjoy

Dave

thanks everybody for your comments. it's great to hear good things about the zeagle ranger bc because i'm pretty much sold on it. when i tried it on it felt great and it has all the little things i want on it. in addition, i feel it's a bc that can grow with my diving experience. one feeling i try to avoid is "buyer's remorse" and i doubt that will happen with this purchase. thanks again!

The ability to customize fit is great I have been looking
at one of these for awhile now but cost is is the killer for now.
Have had the chance to dive the Seaquest Balance and loved it as well.
Most of my Buds dive the Dive rite BC I don't like the the bladder on this one seems a little to unprotected.
Of cource this is all only my opinion humble as it may be.

Have you considered a BPW?

You may very well want to put some weight pockets on the cambands, if you are going to do local diving. The water in Monterey is similar to ours, which means a lot of insulation, and the concomitant weight. If you put it all on a belt or in weight pockets, you will quite likely end up feet-down, so moving some weight up your body would be very useful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom