16 year old lady diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pixurman

Registered
Reaction score
16 year old granddaughter and I will be making up to 15 dives over a 7 day trip. I have heard that young women need to be extra careful regarding no deco times. Is there someone who can confirm this for me? And just how conservative should we plan our dives?

Thanks,

For teenagers, as far as decompression is concerned, they probably have better decompression capabilities than old divers (over 40 years). Gas elimination appears to proceed less efficiently as one grows older, and usually physical fitness decreases.

This is the theoretical answer, since controlled studies of decompression characteristics of youngsters have not be done. [At the time these studies might have been done, young people were not diving. Today, it would not be permitted to test young people for medicolegal reasons.]

The primary concern for people of this age is decompression gas phase formation in bone tissue where it can interfere with growth and development. It is not known whether this actually occurs. To my knowledge, no problems have been encountered as of today. It must be added that not a great deal to time has elapsed between diving at a young age and what happens when you are in the 40’s or 50’s.

Possibly the other writers for these FORUMS will have additional information of a medical nature to add. Remember, as I always say, conservative is always a good idea, although two dives a day for seven days does not seem to be very stressful. :idea:

Back
Top Bottom