smoking & diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thistle

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I am interested in info about the effect that smoking has on a diver. I do not smoke before of after the dive. I wander if the fact that I am smoking in the rest of the time can put me in danger.
I am also interested in the effects that smoking before/after dive can have.
I would appreciate a source of documentation on the net.
Thanks,
Victor

Good morning!

Here is some information taken from our web page at http://www.scuba-doc.com/smkndvng.htm

"Most of the risks of smoking and diving are related to long term usage--the chronic obstructive pulmonary disease that smoking produces over many years. This obstruction is in the terminal airways and the emphysema that's caused can (and does) produce air-filled dilations that can markedly increase your chances of pulmonary barotrauma and arterial gas embolism. Smoking also causes an increase in bronchial mucous production with a concomitant paralysis of the cilia. Mucous plugs then become dangerous to the diver, setting the stage for air-filled sacs that lead to rupture upon ascent.

One other potential problem is the reduction in ones' O2 saturation and increase in CO2 retention. At depth, this could become a problem with the increased partial pressures of changing ATAs. I'm not aware of any studies relating to CO (carbon monoxide) retention but it certainly is a consideration in not smoking just before diving.

Effects of Diving On Carbon Monoxide

The effects of partial pressure on CO concentration in inhaled cigarette smoke would be the same as if the CO had come from some other source, such as the atmosphere or from oil lubricated compressors. Carbon monoxide (CO) is a poisonous gas that is odorless, colorless and tasteless. It is formed from the incomplete combustion of fuels, such as
heating oil, wood, gasoline, coal, natural gas, propane or charcoal. When heating units or motors are not working properly, or if their exhaust fumes are not vented outdoors, carbon monoxide can build up inside your building.

Acceptable CO level for diving operations is 10 ppm by volume (.001%); 10-20% COHb yields a mild frontal headache, 20-30% COHb gives a throbbing headache associated with nausea, 30-50% COHb causes severe headache, fainting and weakness while 50-80% results in coma, convulsions and death. CO binds with hemoglobin 220-290 times greater than O2 and shifts the oxyhemoglobin curve to the left.

Your carbon monoxide level varies with the number of cigarettes you have already smoked that day, the length of time since your last cigarette, how the cigarette was smoked and your level of activity on the day of the reading.

Typical end-of-day readings are as follows:
---0 - 10 ppm of carbon monoxide-non-smoker
---11 - 20 ppm of carbon monoxide-light smoker
---21 - 100 ppm of carbon monoxide-heavy smoker

To work out the approximate percentage of oxygen being replaced by carbon monoxide in your blood, divide your reading by 6.

For example: 18 ppm of carbon monoxide divided by 6 = 3% of oxygen in your blood is being replaced by carbon monoxide. If you are a heavy smoker, up to 15% of your oxygen is
possibly being replaced by carbon monoxide.

Most smokers also have nasal and sinus drainage problems. This markedly increases their chances of middle ear and sinus blocks and squeezes.

There have been studies that have shown that stopping smoking prior to surgery actually increased the amount of mucous production for about a week. Taking this information to diving ---one would have to say that if you are going to gain any benefit from stopping--then you need to have stopped at least one week in advance. If you can do this-- then why not just stop forever?"

Thank you for the info. I like the end.
I succeded couple of times to quit smoking for some time (couple of weeks up to one month). Unfortunately it always came back.
Best regards.

It is the best though having a ciggy when you come up. Why is that??

I really want to stop, I keep failing, But I will keep trying.

Narc

According the Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving:

Hemoglobin bonds with carbon monoxide more than 200 times more readily than with oxygen. In addition, carbon monoxide bonds with enzymes in the blood.

As a diver breathes air contaminated by carbon monoxide, blood hemoglobin reaching the alveoli bonds with the carbon monoxide, forming carboxyhemoglobin, this locks the hemoglobin molecule, making it incapable of carrying oxygen.

Physiologists have found that smoking raises normal carbon monoxide levels 3-12 times, which impals oxygen transport and carbon-dioxide elimination. CAN YOU SAY BENT! It takes 10 to 12 hours for gas exchange to return to normal after diving!

Don't do it dOOd, it's not worth it!

Mario :D

Mario

Trouble is we all know the effects etc, I wish it was as easy not too as to start.!!

Narc

I'll wade into this for two reasons. (1) I have no illusions about how hard it is to quit smoking. I had my last cigarette October 31st, 1987, after smoking about a pack a day all my adult life. (2) If you want to quit too, perhaps I can help.
First, the mental side of quitting - anyone who tells you that cigarettes are not addictive either knows nothing about the interaction of tobacco and human physiology or they're just lying. The stuff is addictive. Addiction goes beyond "desire" or "want" or even "need" - addiction carries your brain beyond reality, to the point that even though you know it's bad for you, you know it's slowly killing you, and it no longer even tastes good - your brain says loud and clear "You should have a cigarette now. If you don't have a cigarette right now you are bad, bad, *bad* and *bad* things will happen." This is a lie. You must recognize the great lie coming from your addicted brain for what it is before you can resist it effectively. And don't expect the "nic fits" to go away quickly - or ever, in some people. I've had one within the last month... But now they have become so infrequent they are just a mild annoyance and a source of wonder at the power of the addiction.
Second, the physical side. There are the nicotine patches & all sorts of diet plans &c.. Rexall has a product called "Smoke-ease" that is a non-drug alternative that's been very helpful to lots of folks (and since I work with Rexall, I think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread!). You can go to http://www.rexall.com/dreamseeker (click on "Rexall Products" and then put "smoke" in the search window) to check it out.
Third, If you're serious about quitting, I'll be more than happy to be your email sounding board. murchison@bellsouth.net .
Rick

I agree with Rick completely. I'm a Family Doc and an Ex-smoker times two.. I stopped for fourteen years and restarted, now stopped ten years.
It's not easy. Most ex-smokers still occasionally crave one, but the longer you go, the less hold the craving has over you.
The majority of patients I've had that have quit, did so after two or more tries, so don't feel failure is an excuse to not try again.
Most people with serious tries and the help of nicotine replacement systems (patch, gum, inhaler, nose spray) are able to quit for a few months. The failure comes when they deceive themselves at some point down the road, thinking that one puff is possible. sooner or later, "occasional puffers" are back at it. Don't do the first puff.

I have three patients actively dying right now. It's a race to see if they'll make it to the New Year. Two have metastatic small cell Cancer of the lung, one has horrible emphysema. None are over 70, and their families are all healthy and devastated.
It's tough, but worth it.
Dive safe--- for a lonnnnng time.
John Reinertson

Smoking, please give advice as I have tried the gums etc and find it is very easy to relapse and the gums are really addictive too.

Patches iritate my skin. Is it going to be just down to will power or will hypnosis or some thing else help.

I actually hate smoking and thing about the long term effects frequently....

Narc

There are four nicotine replacement methods commercially available. Patches, Gum, Nose Spray, and Inhaler. Nose spray and inhaler are available by prescription.
Any way to get nicotine into your body will;
1.irritate the tissues involved,
2.create its own addiction.
Smoking tobacco, much like smoking crack or meth, is a very FAST way to get high drug levels into your body.
The rush or relief of craving from the rapid rise is part of the addiction. The replacement methods all give you nicotine, but all do it in a slower manner, and usually with lower overall nicotine levels.
This doesn't make quitting painless, but it does allow you to separate the rush/habit portion from the nicotine craving portion. You can fight one at a time this way.
Gum works if it is treated as chewing tobacco and tucked between cheek and gum to absorb the nicotine there. If you chew the gum normally, the saliva flow carries the nicotine into your stomach. It then irritates your stomach, is absorbed from stomach and goes directly to the liver, where your body detoxifies it before it gets into the circulation. That's why nicotine brownies don't work.
At the same time, the liver tells the brain that you just ate poisonous plants and it's time to barf.
So gum works IF it's treated like chewing tobacco.
The patches work if you use cortisone cream after each patch to heal the irritation, and rotate the sites.The nasal spray works, but burns and itches like crazy in your nose. The inhaler deposits nicotine in the mouth, trachea and bronchi, where it's more slowly absorbed.
It tastes like a verry stale cigarette and irritates your throat.
A big part of the trick to success is first to make the transition complete. From the minute you start the patch or gum or whatever, you never touch a cigarette again, and keep telling yourself that forty times a day.
If you fail, don't limp along mixing smoking and gum/patch/inhaler. Admit you failed, start smoking again, and then pick another quit date.
Each time your skin itches from the patch, your mouth gets irritated from the gum, or your thraot gets irritated from the inhaler, tell yourself you're not doing this as an enjoyable act in itself, it's a means to quitting. It's imperfect, and you can't expect it to be likable. It is a useful but objectionable crutch.Don't allow your brain to use the drawbacks of replacement as an excuse for a cigarette. Once you've logged two weeks on the crutch, you can allow yourself to begin the tapering process.
This is the next time you'll be tempted to have just one puff, because cravings will resurface.
Again tell yourself you're not doing replacement for enjoyment, and there can never be another puff of a cigarette. "Not ever, not one", no matter what excuse your brain cooks up.
Accept the replacement as a way to ease cravings.
Once you've tapered off, carry some replacement method for at least six months, because temptation is not done with you yet, and when you're stressed or at a party or something, you may need to drag out the replacement again when your brain tries to tell you that you really need one.
Keep telling yourself "not one, not ever."
A man has to know his limitations, and one of yours is being unable to use nicotine casually. The more completely you understand and tell yourself that, the better
prepared you'll be for the tempting moments.

There is also a prescription antidepressant, bupropion, that reduces cravings. It has no nicotine.

All of the above methods work. One may be better than the others for you.

Nothing will take the place of saying "not one, not ever" and refusing to let your brain trick you into that first puff.
Good luck. I know it is doable, and the sort of personality that has the discipline to do SCUBA well also can discipline themselves to give up tobacco.
It's worth it.

John Reinertson

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom