running and diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

katy

Reaction score
how bad of an idea is it to do a short, easy run a couple of hours before diving? I've been running for years, and i'm in good shape. i will be diving for a week in jan. and would like to get in some running as well. a dive instructor once told me this would increase my risk of DCS...thank you!

Katy:

If one were to be depressurized to altitude, I would definitely say that vigorous exercise is a bad idea with respect to decompression gas bubble formation. When it comes to scuba diving, we can only hazard a guess, since, to my knowledge, a study has not been performed.

The question is two fold. First, the musculoskeletal activity will definitely increase the number of tissue micronuclei. That is an experimental fact. These micronuclei will persist for about two to five hours – again an experimental fact.

However, when one takes those nuclei and compresses them by diving, the answer becomes hazy since this has not been investigated. My guess would be that some nuclei would collapse by the pressure, but some would persist.

What is not known is the quantitative nature of the relationship. That is, just how much should the NDL be reduced, because one now has more than the normal concentration of nuclei present? The normal amount would be what we get from simply walking around. For us at NASA, part of our research involves this concentration since, in space, astronauts do not walk and the nuclei number is reduced.

The bottom line is that, I would avoid all strenuous activities for about four hours prior to scuba diving.:nono:

Back
Top Bottom