Spear Fishing the Good and Bad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peter

Reaction score
Hello everybody. I was just wondering if anybody had any views to share on the subject. OK I know you do I was just prusing Glidingray's "Diving vs Shell Collecting" board.

As a keen diver/spearo I think I do it the right way.
I am not sure about the rules and regulations in the USA but in OZ we are not allowed to spear on scuba. We also have marine park boundry's which are patroled (not as much as i'd like)but it's a big job and there's not enough federales to go around. Why I say I think I do it the right way is because I/we only take what we use that night.If there are three people on our boat only three fish are taken that day. I don't think we have ever taken fish home and had it sit in the fridge for more than one night.The idea being fresh is best. This is why I am not keen on spear fishing comps. Not wanting to bunch all comp spearo's into one catch bag but I have seen absolute wastage. And I don't think it's just me I have read the same comment's in several magazines. I'm not saying that spear fishing is a major contributor to disapearing fish stocks,the trawlers and pro fisherman get that award. Knowing that comps don't target rare or indangered fish life it still erks me that (I want to write most)some only discard or give away thier catch's. Most would target the larger/breeder fish which I have found to be not as tasty but do get maximum points. I guess what I am trying to say is I think that we should only take what we need other wise it's just wastefull.
What do you think?

Spear fishing is the most efficient way to select a fish for eating that there is. No by-catch, out-of-limits catch, no catching the fish that's not in season. As with any killing of game, there is potential for abuse, and we must all work to stop that - but done correctly there just isn't any better way to get your fresh fish.
Rick

I have nothing against spearfishing when done as you suggest. It must be very rewarding to return from the sea with food for you and/or your family. Not to mention the taste!

It's the killing of fish for contests, trophies, and whatever else results in waste, that I have a problem with.

Haven't seen a spearfishing contest in a long, long time.. anyone else?
Rick

Dee,
I agree about being anti-wasteful, it's just that the fish from a spearfishing competition is almost never wasted. It goes to just about everyone that's around that needs or would like some fresh fish. The Riffe family is here in SoCal, and between Jay and Julie (father & daughter) Both are champion spearfisherpeople and I doubt either have ever been abusive in spearing fish. The speardiving community, at least those whom are veterans is small, tight and very respectful toward the envoronment. Guys like Jay Riffe and Terry Mass are very well know in their clicks and their practices often times followed very closely.

Just my $.02,
Mario :D

I was thinking about our last club contest. Our dive club sponsors an annual Spearfishing Rodeo. Two of the contestants, working together, shot and killed a 6ft grouper...don't know what it weighed. That fish was passed around for photo opportunities for several days until the skin was rotting off of it.

Now, to be fair, I don't go to this function. But I hear the club folks talking about it. Talking about how many coolers of fish they threw in the ditch on the way home because they didn't want to mess with them. Very little of the catch is eaten. That's the attitude that's abhorant to me. I have voiced my objections, as have a few others, but the 'powers that be' within the club are fierce spearfishers and apparently like the way things as they are, and we are always outvoted.

I've read of the Riffe family and those you mentioned, and I'm sure there are lots of others. I only wish all contests and contestants were that respectful toward the environment. I didn't intend to make a blanket statement of all spearfishing contests, sorry it came out that way :(

Dee

Dee,
No offence taken, in fact I'm saddened by the lack of respect to the underwater realm that the club has... perhaps a different club is needed... if there are enough of you that feel the same way, would starting a new club, one with speciically outlines mission objectives be possible?

If it helps, we can start a nationally recognised scuba club right here and right now. Though it may start with two, it will no doubt grow to the thousands... waddya say?

Hi again sounds like a lot of people share my concerns. The comment about the 6ft cod sounds way to familiar,don't think I would have been able to keep my opinions to myself if I had have been there. Would not be the first time that I have nearly come to blows with some stupid yobbo who thinks that if it's free you can waste it. I may not be able to change what they do, but they won't go to bed wondering if I was unhappy with what they were doing. Enough of my ranting and raving Just as a matter of interest what are the cans and can nots of spearing in the USA. Are you allowed to spear on scuba, do you have no go spots,we are not allowed to spear in any rivers or estuaries,we do most of our diving in Moreton Bay just off Brisbane the marine park guys put out leaflets as to where you can't spear. There are still plenty of good spots left though. Do you have bag limits etc etc etc Any info would be great.

PS

I hope everybody has a Merry Christmas and a safe and fun New Year.

Best Wishes from Pete and Maria

............and sometimes even within a state. In general, it is legal to hunt on SCUBA. There are usually restrictions on species and size. Some areas are off limits. Some local areas require 3 (Monroe County north of Long Key)or 9 miles (Collier County) offshore, while others require you to be more than 100 yds from a public beach, pier or bridge from which fishing is allowed.

For Florida regulations go to:

http://www.state.fl.us/gfc/marine/faward.htm

I hope this helps.

Walter

Peter,
Each state has it's own rules in addition to the ones Uncle Sam comes up with. There are also more and more protected area's where you can't remove anything... not even sand. The rules and regulations concerning hunting depend on regions, zones and the time of the year.

Just for example Lobster season runs from October through March, and once you buy a license you are permitted 7 per day per person, the caripice must me 3.25 inches and it must be taken by hand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom