Talk before a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glidingray

Reaction score
If you happen to buddy up a stranger, what things being talked about before the dive? Don't tell things from the book please, I'm sure everybody knows that already.

Me? I rarely have a stranger as a dive buddy… and I'm about to do that…rrrrrrr…in less than two weeks. As they say: Diving unprotected with a stranger is like having unprotected sex with a stranger. :D

Ray

And have refused to in the past for various reasons. But when I need to, I start a conversation with them, what kind of diving they like to do, how often, what trips they've been on and to where. Were they satisfied and if not, why? When we exchange info like this in a conversation, rather than questioning them like an interrogation, I learn what they expect out of a dive, what their experience level is, how comfortable they are before the dive. If we're at a resort, I'll know if they like to party, were maybe up late the night before drinking. I pay attention to how they pay attention to the DM during the dive briefing, how do they treat the crew and other divers. At the same time I'm looking at their gear. Is it in good condition, is it decent quality or is it discount brands sold by cheezy on-line suppliers. Not to be a snob, but if they only buy cheap gear, where else have they tried to cut corners...their training, perhaps? If we both feel comfortable with each other, we'll explain our gear and how it works. For instance, I use an Octo+. I explain if he/she needs air, I'll give them my primary.

Bottom line, if I don't feel comfortable with this person, I do not dive with them and am glad to tell them why. And anytime a DM or boat crew tries to force me or quilt me into diving with someone, I don't do it. The safety of me, myself and I are my first priority and I don't entrust any of the 3 to someone without a great deal of thought.

In addition to making sure that I know that they know what I expect them to do should they need air from me, I ask 'em about themselves, where they're from, what they do, and then what they expect to get out of the dive. Then I tell 'em "ok, you have the lead - if you need me I'll be right there - otherwise, have fun." And then I watch 'em like a hawk.
Rick

dives with a new buddy are nerve racking to say the least, for me. Like Rick, I tend to spend most of my dive watching my new buddy. But after the first couple of dives I tend to ease up a bit as I learn what to expect from them. The problem I have found is that alot of DMs don't tell you the who's who as far as dive buddies go until your on the site and ready to dive. This approach leaves very little time to feel the guy/girl out prior to diving. But if you pay attention you can usually spot the other diver/divers that are buddyless. They tend to keep to themselves and not say much. So the ride out to the site is the time to start making your choices and getting to know a little more about them. But then again, some ops allow solo diving, so you may shot yourself in the foot.

I tend to spend most of my dive watching my new buddy ... *snip* ... time to feel the guy/girl out ...

Warhammer, I don't think they meant following the newest diving member wearing the smallest bikini ... hehehe

=-)

This can be a little difficult at times! I have a non-diving husband and so end up diving with strangers most of the time. On the last trip I was in a dive boat with a group of non-english Japanese divers. Communication above water was subsequently very limited! I spend most of my time on occasions like these watching my buddy and also the diveguide who I probably dont know as well. I agree its not an ideal situation but its one I've got used to and the only other option is not to dive which is one I am not prepared to consider!
Maggie

Well, King, just thought I'd be a good buddy make strap adjustments for the ones in bikinis. Sooner or later there bound to need one.:)

Just like Dee I like to get a chat with my buddy to be - if possible. However, I also found that I as a part of the buddy check HAS to show them my new air integrated computer (Cobra) so we can communicate about remaining air and dive time and so forth.

Like Warhammer I also spend one or more dives watching the buddy very closely. The last time was on GBR were a had a very large male buddy with something like 30 logged dives. However, when Im saw him flooting upside down to take pictures I started to relax.

DSAO

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom