Getting Back

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBA WIDOW

Reaction score
Greetings to all....... I hear this is the place to re-establish yourself in the scuba world. As you can tell by my screen name (SCUBA WIDOW)I must get back.... Any suggestions to get started, I am open water certified, but haven't been diving in a couple of years. Thanks

Hi Scuba Widow,

Welcome to ScubaBoard! I am glad to hear you are getting back in the world of diving. I am sure you will get lots of good advice on the how best to get back into diving.

Cheers,

One of the first things I would suggest you do is to take a refresher course. You'll brush up on your skills and re-establish your comfort level in the water.

Next, if you still have your gear, have it serviced and/or overhauled. One of the more knowledgeable folks can explain what happens to gear when it is stored for a long period of time.

If you need to rent or purchase your gear, take the time to research it. There have been lots of improvments made in the last few years, especially in computers, BC designs and fins.

And last but not least, welcome back to the fold. Diving can surely heal what ails ya! You'll get alot of good information on this forum, there's some good people here who are willing to share their experiences and lessons learned.

Hello Scuba Widow, welcome to the family. It's great to see that you've decided to embrace diving again.

Dee is right on the money with her recommendation. One thing to add is a question: If it's been a while you might be better off retaking the course to build your comfort level. I don't know how much time you have on your hands but, this is sometimes a better route for some people. How long has it been, and when you did dive how many, and how frequesnt were they?

Welcome to the board, and welcome back to diving.

As Mario said, Dee's right on the money on her recommendations - a refresher course is the way to go. Not only to refresh you as what you should do for yourself while diving, but what your buddy should be able to expect from from.

Hey Scuba Widow!

Welcome to the board - everyone hear is really nice and its easy to join in with the fun - with lots to learn from some people - just beware of strange looking people in animal print wetsuits!

Everyone has given you great advice on what to do now your jumping back in. The only thing I can add is if you decide to take just a refresher course and not re-do the O/W it may be best to dive with someone more advanced until you are happy and settled back in the water!

Then my advice to all if your O/W or AOW is to continue to Rescue. When I was at O/W and AOW I thought I knew all I needed to know - blimey I was wrong. I am glad I did my Rescue cause it really made me realise how basic knowledge is at O/W and AOW!

Anyway, have fun on the board and even more in the water!
Take care

Welcome back. Go for it and have a great time. I have been there and like others I took a recert class and was back in the grove in two days. I will be doing the same this spring in the keys. Keep us posted!!

GOOD LUCK GOOD DIVING

Back
Top Bottom