I need suggestions on preserving environment...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
As a recreational diver, how do you minimize negative impact on the underwater world and how do you help protect and preserve the environment? What do you think should be done?

Thanks for answering this and sharing your thoughts. I will draw upon your feedbacks and be guided accordingly in running our dive center in Boracay Island.

As an individual, your buoyancy control is the single most important skill to master to let you protect the reef, wreck, cave, flora, fauna, etc from any negative impact from your presence.

I'm not going to say "don't touch" because there are plenty of things you *can* touch without harm - but I will say that as a general rule, don't touch unless you know what you're touching and you know your touching won't hurt - or, let the sea critter do the touching.

Of course, letting some sea critters touch will hurt *you*, so it works both ways..

Buoyancy control and knowledge - those are the tickets.

Rick

You are right on, buoyancy is a key skill. Two other things I see new divers do that harm the environment is:

A) Swim about waving their arms about hitting things on the back stroke (including me) and hanging on to everything in reach because they are not trimmed right.

B) They don't pay attention to their kick hitting the bottom and the reef with their fins.

NWD,

Cozumel and the Mexican have established some new rules for the Marine Reserve at Palancar National Marine Reserve.

Some of these are:
  • No gloves
  • No knifes
  • Maintain 3' above the reef
  • No touching the reef
  • No chemical light sticks
  • No touching the marine life
  • No feeding the marine life
These are just a few that I can remember off the top of my head. I only have a 10 day memory and then somebody has to drive me home.

Apparently these measures are starting to work, this was the best trip I've had down there, saw more little fish, middle fish and big fish. Saw 7 turtles and had reports of hammerheads off of Santa Rosa Wall.

ID

Thank you for replying to the post. Would anyone have an idea where I can find some materials like scientific reports which would justify or prove that ... for example, fish feeding is not good, or using chemical lightstick is not good?

I want to promote diving in environment friendly manner among dive operators in Boracay but I need to know more too.

Thank you once again.

Glad you included the link that mentions run-off. Most of the posts here talk about not touching the reef while diving, but how many of them think nothing of washing their car in the driveway? Where do you think all that crud ends up?

Originally posted by gozumutti
newwavediver, welcome to the board and check out this thread for some nice suggestions:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?threadid=698

and this one

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?threadid=533

for a general discussion.

Would be nice to hear even more suggestions.

Just one more thing, don't let your gear dangle below you while you dive.
GetWet(whenever possible)

I think this has to be the most stupid rule in the world the second is no knife.
Ok show of hands how many of you are carving up the reef with your knives. I think an impact study in needed....

Now for my pet peeve. There are many stinging and sharp objects under the sea. Many of which you will run into especially in warm tropic water. In which I cannot tell you how many times I have seen a reaction that causes pain. Jellyfish tentacle draped over a line and you grab it with you bare hands???? Painful no??? No I have seen more damage done by trash, water run-off and anchors then the effect of divers. I do agree that both, skill in buoyancy is important and education about reefs and their structure is very important but come on GLOVES!!!! How about perks for the diver who gets most trash picked up off the reef?? How about a fund (One dollar) collected from every diver for bouy systems. I can go on and on but Gloves????????????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom