Need Cenote Dive Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

got4boyz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Yeah, I'm so excited!!! :bounce: I finally begged, cajoled, threatened (just kidding), and thus convinced by husband to take me diving for our 12 year anniversary.

After finding inexpensive airfare to Cancun we have decided to go diving in Cozumel leaving March 1st. We also want to do a cenote dive or two. If you have done any in the Yucatan would you please tell me one or two you recommend the most?

Any info. would be most appreciated!

:wink: Beth

No doubt at all here... contact
Nancy De Rosa
Villas De Rosa Resort / Aquatech Dive Center
Aventuras Akumal, Mexico
Phone / Fax 011-52-987-59020
email at: dive@cenotes.com
web site at http://www.cenotes.com
Rick

...not to rain on your parade but didn't you say you haven't dived in two years? And that you only have 5 logged dives? Sorry if I have you mixed up with someone else, but if that's true, you may want to save the cenote's for another trip! Especially if you intend to enter the caverns. Your bouyancy skills need to be excellent for that.
Not to say they aren't :D just a helpful thought!

At the very least, be completely honest about your experiences with the operator you talk to.

You'll have a blast in Coz.

Hi got4boyz,

Ditto what Rick & Dee said.

Aquatech is an excellent op, but you should have the basic skills & confidence to safely enjoy guided cenote diving. There are a number of neat centotes in the Akumal area including Grand Cenote, Temple of Doom, Room of Tears, Dos Ojos and Car Wash, but chances are you'll go to those your dive op has selected for the day.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

Thanks to all for your replies. You have a good memory Dee, except I only have 4 logged dives! LOL

After visiting Aquatech's website I told my hubby that we probably weren't ready for a cenote dive.

I feel my bouyancy is pretty good, but obviously since I haven't dived in two years I will need to practice up. I'm going to try and get a refresher course in before I go too.

There was a cavern dive on their site that it sounded like just about anyone could do, but I will call them first and "tell it like it is"! :)

We will be diving for 2 - 3 days before I'd do the cavern dive so I will have a better judge of how I'm doing.

On their website they mention cavern, cave and cenote diving. What is the difference?

As far as being in a cave I have no problem. I've done a lot of spelunking (cave exploring) in my life so enlosed areas don't bother me. I've had 0 fear diving so far (except for that first time I took my face mask off in 60 degree, murky water LOL) so I don't think I'd have any problem once my skills are better.

Again, thanks for all your replies, and Dee, thanks for telling me "like it is"! :wink:

Da Nada, Mi Amiga...Just want you to have a safe trip!

But my boyz are in their 30's. I must sound like an ad agency, but I just have to tell everyone about the French Quarter restaurant in Cozumel. You've just got to try it. It is about 1.5 years old and we think it has the best food in Cozumel--and really reasonable. The owner is an American from Louisiana (where else?) and he has done a great job of getting his place on the map.

It is a little off the beaten path, but easy to find since San Miguel (downtown Coz) is not that big. Ask at your hotel or ask a taxi driver. Take your generous hubby there as a thank you for the trip! You will love it!

Joewr

Dee, I'm glad I know a little Spanish or I'd been wondering what the heck you were saying! LOL

joe, thanks for the tip on the French Quarter. My husband's only complaint for this trip is that he doesn't like the food. I don't get it, I LOVE the food down there. Anyway,he was asking me if there was any place to get some good American food so I'm hoping they serve some. We live in SE Texas near the border of Louisiana so hopefully they'll have some close to home cooking there. I will keep it a surprise and take him there!

Thanks again! :)

The owner of the French Quarter, Mike (?) always comes out for a meet and greet with the customers and he's always thrilled to meet anyone from anywhere even close to Louisiana. He has an excellent menu but he will fix you anything you want. We had a guy with us one trip who was craving chilie pie. Mike whipped him up a big bowl of Wolf Brand chilly and frittos!

Oh, when you go looking for the place, you'll find it by following a narrow staircase upstairs! You'll need a map and boy do I have a good one for you!

Go to: http://www.cancunmap.com/

Laura and Perry have travelled all over Cozumel on bicycles with mounted GPS units to map the whole thing. Every single building is listed! Perry mapped all the reefs the same way. They sell the map on the honor system. They send it to you and if you like it, you send them $6.95 plus tax! It'll be the best money you'll spend!

Check it out!

Dee

Dee,

What a memory! Yep, Mike is his name--Mike Slaughter. And he does come out and talk to customers and make one feel right at home. By the way, if you are lucky he will have lobster meat taken from the legs by the local senoras (senoritas?)--something impossible here in the USA due to our "high" wages--and will make a sauce/stuffing for snapper or the like and it is absolutely fantastic--but you better dive an extra tank the next day because it is rich! Barbara, my better half, loves the pork filet Cajun style.

Great place!

As long as I am hyping Cozumel, let me tell you about an art gallery there: Robert's Black Coral--down the road from the French Quarter. The objects are really pricey, but absolutely magnificent! Go to the back of the shop and look at the fish and sea creatures endemic to Coz that he has crafted--he even has a Spendid Toadfish sitting on a column of coral! You don't have to buy--just looking is a treat!

Buena suerte, Tengoquatrohijos (I have four sons).

Joewr

Back
Top Bottom