Encyclopedae

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

turnerjd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
OK all,

I for one am not that impressed with the PADI encyclopedia of recreational diving. I think that a lot of what is in there is covered in the textbooks of most diving organisations. The BSAC 's equivalent of the OW and AOW manual covers pretty much everything in the encyclopedia. I also don't think that the setout is that good. It is more of a textbook for the DM course than a good reference source.

What is everyone elses opinion?

I am thinking of organising a proper (referenced) encyclopedia (arranged alphabetically, as a propper reference work rather than like a textbook), covering things in about the same sort of depth as books like John Lippmans 'Deeper into diving'.

For me there are too many things missing from the PADI book, and even some of the more advanced (technical) courses. Anyone know what a UPTD is, and how it is relevant to diving?

Do you guys think this kind of encyclopedia would be wanted or even necessary? Or do you know of one that already exists?

Jon

King,

Is this underway, as in publisher lined up, and book being written by somebody that will see it through, or is it that someone has seen the need, thought about it, mentioned it to a couple of people, and it might perhaps, if they can gather the motivation, and find the time, get it done?

Jon T

PS I was more thinking about aiming at the highly theoretical, aimed at the 3 or 4 % of divers that would be REALLY interested in diving, rather than any 'mass market' competitor to the PADI Ency. Rec. Div.
FWIW, even if some-one like PADI bring out the TecRec version of the encyclopedia, I don't think it will be that advanced, or comprehensive.

"U.P.T.D." stands for "Unit Pulmonary Toxic Dose" & at one time was a method for calculating PO2 exposure for extended periods of elevated Po2 breathing.

Years ago we employed this method when treating decompression sickness in a saturated environment. We had a variety of treatment gases on line with varying %'s of O2 to accomodate the need for breathing elevated PO2's via "b.i.b.s." ( built-in-breathing-system ) in sat..

It was theorized that prolonged exposure to elevated Po2 may have an irritating effect on the pulmonary system with possible resultant edema & other complications, thus calculating expected dose for a given treatment table seemed prudent.

It is my understanding this method has been abandoned for better methods but I cannot speak to that...Scubadoc, can you bring us up to speed on this issue?

D.S.D.

Deapseadan,

This is a unit of exposure (1 minute breating a PO2 of 1 Bar). There is a (medical) exposure limmit of about 700 before you start getting problems. I was recently looking into transfering over to the French diving system, (they don't recognise anything other than the FFESSM qualifications here!) They have their own set of nitrox decompression tables with a maximum O2 exposure of 600 UPTD, and a max PO2 of 1.8Bar.

These tables actually go upto the 600 UPTD limmit :

NITROX 45, 25.5 m, for longer than 240 mins (requires 47 mins decompression @ 3m for 240mins!)
NITROX 30, 39m 100mins (requires 12mins @ 9m, 41 @ 6m, and 78 @ 3m), any longer and over the 600uptd. - although I don't fancy carrying over 3h 40 air!

I suspect that there are a lot of people out there diving nitrox that have never heard of this particular unit (which is why I chose it)

Jon T

Jon, regarding the beans :royal: hinted on. I can tell you that the project in question is well underway. Would you be interested in helping?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom